Broiled grapefruit makes one of those quick, easy, delicious, amazing breakfast or brunch recipes that is simply amazing. In about five minutes, you have this two ingredient broiled grapefruit that everyone loves!
And I can’t get enough of them.
You see, every year we order fruit that our local high school band sales as their largest fundraiser. The fruit always includes apples, oranges, and then these huge, juicy grapefruit. But, I’ve never really liked grapefruit. It was something that Mama always made me eat growing up and something that I just never really enjoyed.
And then finally, about five or six years ago, I was faced with all of these grapefruit on my counter that I knew I needed to find some way of enjoying. I’d supremed some, along with oranges and nectarines, for a warm fruit salad with a few other things and decided I really liked grapefruit more once it is warm. That’s when I decided to toss them under the broiler and I haven’t looked back!
Here’s my Broiled Grapefruit recipe. I hope you love it as much as I do, even if you are a grapefruit hater.
- 1 grapefruit, sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar or honey
- ¼ teaspoon ginger, optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- Preheat oven on broil setting, about 500º F.
- Place grapefruit halves onto baking sheet pan, cut side up. Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of brown sugar or spread 1 tablespoon of honey evenly on top of each grapefruit half. Top with optional ginger and/ or cinnamon. Place into oven and broil for 5 minutes, or until the sugar or honey has bubbled. Watch carefully to prevent from burning.
It’s perfect for these chilly mornings.