We absolutely love caprese salads. They are fresh, deliciousness make a wonderful beginning to your dinner. A caprese salad is especially delicious with a perfect, juicy steak. But sometimes I like to quickly assemble a serving of caprese salad as my light lunch or dinner. It’s a versatile little salad with a big taste.
The best part? You can have a beautiful caprese salad ready in minutes.
I love to make this salad with tomatoes and basil fresh from our garden. I believe that is when caprese salad is really the most delicious. But, I have to tell you. I won’t turn it down in the dead of the winter with store bought tomatoes and basil either! I think I could eat caprese salad every day and be a very happy girl indeed!
- 2 large tomatoes, washed and peeled
- 12 ounces Mozzarella cheese, sliced
- ½ cup basil leaves, washed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Slice tomatoes into ¼ inch slices.
- Slice cheese into ¼ inch slices.
- Assemble salad on oven proof dish.
- Begin with layer of tomatoes topped with a slice of cheese per tomato slice.
- Place under broiler of oven for 3-5 minutes until cheese begins to melt.
- Remove from oven and top with fresh basil.
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Sprinkle sea salt and pepper to taste.
If you love caprese salad as much as I do, you might want to try my caprese salad skewers that are perfect bite-sized appetizers when entertaining or for special occasions. They are just the cutest and easiest little skewers, but believe me, they disappear quickly! Therefore, I recommend that you always make more than you think you need!