When I walk outside this summer, I swear it feels like I’ve stepped inside someone’s oven they’ve left on since the 1980′s making it hotter than hot! I keep thinking any day now I’ll step out and find a cool, gentle breeze blowing and zero humidity. Then, I wake up, realize we’re still right in the middle of summer and that I do live in the south. And, as my Grandmother used to say, the humidity is what makes Southern girls so sweet. Somedays, I’m feeling like I missed that part of the equation, but I definitely have figured out a couple of ways to stay cool through this record-breaking summer. Maybe that makes me sweet after all.
1. stay inside where there is an air conditioner set to keep you refreshingly cool
2. hang out in the pool or lake
3. find a huge fan and park yourself right in front of it
4. stand in front of the refrigerator or freezer with the door hanging open pretending to search for something at the back of said refrigerator or freezer (not that I’d do that or anything!)
5. douse yourself with ice as much as possible
Just to keep things in perspective, I find every way possible when I am outside to make Ranger walk quickly past me wagging his tail. That long furry retriever tail can stir up quiet the breeze.
Another way we’ve been keeping cool is drinking tons of cold drinks. I’ve loved throwing a cherry limeade into the mix to keep things exciting lately. Cherry limeade has long been one of my favorite summertime drinks whenever we visit our local Sonic and I was bound and determined to make one that tasted as similar as possible.
Here’s how I make mine.
- 8 ounces Sprite or lemon-lime drink
- ¼ cup Juicy-Juice cherry juice
- 1 tablespoon Rose’s sweetened lime juice
- maraschino cherries (optional)
- lime wedge (optional)
- Pour all contents into a tall glass filled with ice. Stir together with a straw. Serve with maraschino cherries and a lime wedge as garnish (optional)