Coca Cola Cake is one of the most delicious cakes and is a Southern staple. It seems like every when I visited any of my friend’s house as a young girl growing up, my friend’s mothers would stand at the stove for just a few minutes talking with us about our day and then a few minutes later we’d have a slice of warm, yummy Coca Cola Cake and a cold glass of milk in front of us.
As delicious as a slice of warm Coca Cola Cake may be though, it tastes even better later.
It is for sure one of those recipes that many folks just have memorized and can throw together without a second thought.
Mama would whip up this cake effortlessly on Friday nights after football games when my girlfriends would come back to our house to spend the night. I believe it was a big reason we’d come on home after the game instead of hanging out and driving back and forth through our one red light town for hours and hours – or should I say that we would come home after a little while, not exactly immediately. You know how that all went down, don’t ya?
Some friend’s mothers would add chopped pecans to the top and some just wouldn’t have any nuts at all. But, my Mama always made hers with salted cocktail peanuts sprinkled on the top. She has always been a cocktail peanut freak and said the best way to drink a Coca-Cola was an ice-cold, Coke from a bottle with a pack of salted peanuts poured inside. She introduced me to this concoction at a fairly young age and I really have to agree with her. It is a pretty amazing combination.
Anyway, if you’ve not added Coca Cola Cake to your list of cake recipes to make, you need to go ahead and take care of that.
I promise you’ll thank me.
Here’s the recipe for Coca Cola Cake like my Mama has always made it. I hope you love it as much as we do!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup Coca-Cola
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 7 tablespoons Cocoa-Cola
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup cocktail peanuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 9×13 baking pan with butter and flour or baking spray.
- Whisk together flour, sugar and baking soda in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Add Coca-Cola, butter and cocoa to medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and gradually add to the flour mixture with a large spoon. Stir in the marshmallows, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla until well-combined. Pour cake batter into your prepared 9×13 baking pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Add butter, Coca-Cola, and cocoa to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly until the butter completely melts. Remove from the heat and add sugar and vanilla. Stir with a whisk until well-combined and smooth.
- Pour over warm cake. Top cake with cocktail peanuts (optional).