Ambrosia makes one of those family recipes that I can’t imagine my Grandmother not having prepared for our Christmas meals.
She would always prepare it a the day before our family Christmas so that it was perfectly chilled for serving. Filled with so much delicious, seasonal citrus fruit, Ambrosia has to be one of my favorite little recipes that can be considered a side dish and also works just perfectly as a dessert.
Here’s our Ambrosia recipe. I hope you love it!
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 medium navel orange, sectioned
- 2 medium red grapefruit, sectioned
- 1 cup chopped pineapple, or 1 (8-ounce) can diced pineapple, drained
- ½ cup sweetened flake coconut
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 jar Maraschino cherries, drained (optional)
- Pour whipping cream into a large bowl and whisk until soft peaks begin to form. Slowly add confectioner’s sugar and vanilla and whip until stiff peaks form. Fold in oranges, grapefruit, pineapple, coconut, and marshmallows. Pour into a large glass bowl. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 8 hours before serving. When ready to serve, add cherries to top of ambrosia and serve.