Homemade vegetable soup is simple and easy to make. On busy days, I can put a pot of this soup on and know that my family will have a delicious, nutritious meal without a lot of fuss on my part.
This is the same recipe for homemade vegetable soup prepared in my grandmother’s and mother’s kitchens while I was growing up. It was always a cool weather favorite of mine.
- 4 cups tomatoes, peeled, cored and chopped (or 2 28-ounce cans of diced tomatoes)
- 1 pound okra, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups corn
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Pour tomatoes, okra, onions and corn into stockpot and cook on medium heat until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, salt and pepper.
- Cover stockpot and reduce heat to low.
- Allow to simmer for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with slice of cornbread.
- Allow to cool completely before storing.