Strawberry Pretzel Salad makes a classic, Southern dish. Cool, creamy and delicious, this strawberry pretzel salad is perfect anytime.
Strawberry Pretzel Salad is a family-favorite addition to so many special occasion meals and you’ll always find a large casserole dish with it’s sparkling red, strawberry filled top on the buffet for Easter, Southern reunions, and all throughout the summer. It is loved by so many and is always one of the first things to disappear.
Sweet, salty, creamy, and crunchy, it has so much going for it that it is always a definite hit!
There are so many versions of Strawberry Pretzel Salad served here in the south that I have no idea who invented the first version, but oh my goodness am I ever so thankful! It’s one of those dishes that goes with so many meals and works easily on the side – because, you know, it does have “salad” in it’s name – or as a dessert.
Here’s how I made it.
- 2 cups pretzels, crushed
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 1 8-ounce tub Cool Whip
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- 2 small packages strawberry Jell-O
- 2 10-ounce packages frozen strawberries
- Preheat oven to 400˚.
- Mix crushed pretzels with butter and 2 tablespoons sugar. Pour pretzel mixture into 9 x 13 inch casserole dish, press lightly, and bake 8-10 minutes. Remove and allow to cool completely.
- Mix cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, and Cool Whip until smooth. Spread over cooled pretzels.
- Dissolve Jell-O with boiling water and mix in frozen strawberries. Refrigerate until it has slightly thickened. Pour over cream cheese mixture.
- Chill until firm and serve.
- Keep refrigerated.
Be sure to make it soon for your family! I promise, it will be a hit!