Tartar Sauce is a classic sauce recipe to serve with fish and seafood. This tartar sauce recipe uses ingredients you have on hand for a simple, delicious sauce every time!
In about five minutes, if it even takes that long, I can have fresh, homemade tartar sauce stirred together and ready for serving with all sorts of fish or seafood. I can’t even remember buying bottled tartar sauce!
Thankfully, it uses ingredients that I normally have on hand – mayonnaise or yogurt, relish, mustard, lemon juice and salt and pepper. It couldn’t get much easier! I like to make my tartar sauce a bit in advance of serving and store in the refrigerator. It allows the tartar sauce to thicken as it chills as well as allowing the flavors to develop more fully. However, my son prefers it freshly made so I usually make it right before serving when he’s involved. Ha!
- ¾ cup mayonnaise or yogurt
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish or capers
- 1 teaspoon juice of pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Stir together mayonnaise, relish, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper until well combined. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to two weeks.