Hamburger steak with onion and mushroom gravy makes a classic, simple recipe. This quick recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes.
Have you ever woken up in the middle of the night craving something so bad that you could just taste it?
Normally if that happens to me, it’s over something like banana pudding or chocolate sheet cake or something sweet, but the other night it was for Hamburger Steak with Mushroom and Onion Gravy.
Not your normal craving, I’m sure.
Thankfully, my family loves it as much as I do so there were no complaints when I served it the next night for supper.
And I don’t think it has ever tasted so good.
Sometimes, I think the best ideas come to me when I should be sleeping.
Well, except that time when I thought it would be a good idea to reverse the direction of the ceiling fan while standing on the bed trying not to wake my husband in the middle of the night. Good things just don’t come from that – I assure you.
But back to this hamburger steak with mushroom and onion gravy.
You really should make this soon.
It’s absolutely like a big ol’ hug of a meal.
Here’s how I make it.
Start with your ground beef.
Add in some bread or cracker crumbs. Either work just fine and I usually just go with what I have on hand.
Now add in your egg.
And some Worcestershire sauce.
We love that stuff around here.
A little bit of garlic salt and then mix it all together.
Form it into patties and cook over medium heat in a skillet or non-stick pan.
When done, remove from skillet and set aside on a platter.
Now, slice your onions and separate each slice into rings. Place into your skillet or non-stick frying pan over low to medium heat.
I like to use sweet onions for my mushroom and onion gravy, but use your favorite.
Add your sliced mushrooms in with your onions.
And pour on a little bit of olive oil.
Let them cook for a little while to get all nice and tender.
While your onions and mushrooms are busy making some deliciousness in your skillet or pan, add some beef bouillon to a measuring cup.
Add some water and mix together.
Pour 1/2 of the mixture over your onions and mushrooms and stir well.
Now stir a little flour into the other 1/2 of your broth.
Mix it all together really well.
Pour into mushrooms and onions and let simmer for a bit until it thickens and forms a gravy.
At this stage, you can either add your hamburger steak back to the pan with your gravy or keep the two separate like I do sometimes.
Here’s my Hamburger Steak with Mushroom and Onion Gravy Recipe.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup bread or saltine cracker crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillion granules
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon flour
- Mix together ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic salt.
- Form into patties and cook in a skillet over low to medium heat until done throughout.
- Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add onions and mushrooms to skillet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and allow to cook until tender.
- Mix together beef bouillion and water.
- Pour ½ over onions and mushrooms and allow to simmer for a few more minutes.
- Mix together flour into remaining broth and pour over mushrooms and onions.
- Allow to simmer until gravy has thickened.
- Serve hamburger steak with the onion and mushroom gravy ladled over the top.