Okra and tomatoes make a wonderful side dish anytime of the year, but especially during the summer as you can get fresh okra. These vegetables really sing when used together in this dish with the addition of onion and garlic.
Okra and tomatoes go perfectly with just about any meal you are serving – from grilled or roasted chicken to roast beef, pork or fish. It all works.
Here’s how I make it.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh okra, cleaned and cut into 1" slices
- fresh ground black pepper
- Add olive oil to a saute pan over medium-low heat. Add in onions and saute until tender. Add garlic.
- Pour in diced tomatoes and toss in okra. Stir to combine.
- Allow to simmer over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes until the okra has become tender.
- Toss in salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.