Homemade Pizza Sauce is one of my essential recipes for a terrific pizza night. Well, that and my perfect pizza dough.
Luckily, my pizza sauce is so incredibly simple and easy to make that you can throw it together in just a few minutes with ingredients that you most likely already have on hand in your pantry. And since it keeps well in the refrigerator, you can easily make this homemade pizza sauce and keep it on hand for family pizza night or when your family has friends over.
In my son’s mind, there isn’t anything more fun than inviting his buddies over to play airsoft for an afternoon, followed by making homemade pizzas and watching a movie. And of course, I love it when they are all at my house!
So, why not start a pizza night tradition at your house. If you do, be sure to make this sauce! You’ll love it!
Here’s my Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ medium onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- Drizzle olive oil into 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent and tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic, cayenne pepper, and dried oregano. Cook for about 1 minute to release flavors.
- Pour in tomatoes, tomato paste, and add salt, sugar, and black pepper. Stir well to combine. Add fresh oregano. Reduce heat to low-medium and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring often to prevent any sticking or burning.
- Remove from heat and use immediately or allow to cool before storing in an airtight container for up to one week.