Chicken and Rice Casserole makes a classic comforting dish. Made of chicken and rice cooked in a creamy, flavorful casserole, this is a family favorite!
Growing up, there were certain dishes that we could depend on having in the way of comfort food: chicken and dumplings when it was cold or rainy, chicken soup when we didn’t feel well, and chicken and rice casserole to carry to friends and neighbors when they needed a meal to celebrate the birth of a child or mourn the loss of a loved one and everything in between, it seems.
It is a comfort food classic in my family, and most likely in many others as well.
There are so many variations of chicken and rice casserole, probably every family has their own version and then changes within the family as well. For my family, this flavorful version always hit the spot!
For my chicken and rice casserole, I like to use tender chicken that I’ve cooked low and slow either in the slow cooker or on the stove. You could easily use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store or a roasted chicken that you’ve made yourself. Either would work just fine. I also use my homemade cream of chicken soup, but again, for convenience, you could certainly use canned soup, if you like.
Chicken and Rice Casserole makes a wonderful freezer or make-ahead meal.
You can simply combine everything, cover it tightly, and store it in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days in advance of baking or for longer in the freezer. I recommend allowing it to come to room temperature before baking or adjusting the length of baking time.
Here’s my Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family always does!
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 2 cups cooked long-grain white rice
- 2 cups homemade cream of chicken soup optional or 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup and 1 can condensed cream of celery soup
- ½ cup diced onions
- ½ cup diced celery
- 1 cup mayonnaise or 1 cup greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425º F. Spray 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until casserole is lightly browned.
From the Add a Pinch recipe archives. Originally posted 2011.