Family heirlooms are my most prized possessions. Lovely and worn pieces handed down from my husband’s family as well as my own make their place in my home. From my Daddy’s watch, my Grandmother’s handwritten recipes, to my husband’s great-great Grandparent’s table, threads of their lives are now intricately woven into the fabric of our days.
In our fast-paced world, it’s a bit hard to imagine the items that will one day become heirlooms from my life. There are a few treasures though that should easily withstand time with just a bit of love and care – the table my husband made with his own hands for our 10th wedding anniversary, jewelry he’s given me throughout our marriage, our family Bible I was given on our wedding day, and pewter pieces I have been given from my mother and mother-in-law immediately come to mind.
When the lovely people from Crosby & Taylor contacted me about hosting a giveaway for pewter measuring spoons, I felt that their heart shone through as I read their history and values. But when I received their package and opened it, I was absolutely blown away. I could see the love and passion for their craft in every single inch.
As I’ve found every possible reason to be in my kitchen cooking since I received my measuring spoons, I’ve been thinking about how my son will one day remember our measuring out vanilla for his favorite chocolate chip waffles or these lemon poppy seed muffins as he reaches for these spoons with his own children.
Lemon poppy seed muffins topped with a simple lemon sugar glaze are just perfect for a brunch, tea, or to serve your family for breakfast even. The burst of the lemon combined with the slight crunch of the tiny poppy seeds make this lemon poppy seed muffin a favorite whenever you serve them. These muffins have a tender, delicate crumb and are best cooked in cupcake liners for ease in eating.
It’s hard not to gobble up more than a one of these sweet little muffins. Remember the saying of you can’t eat just one? Well, it certainly applies to these lemon poppy seed muffins!
Here’s my Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins recipe. I hope you love them as much as we do!
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Lemon Glaze:
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Spray muffin tins with bakers spray or coat well with shortening or butter and flour, making sure to discard any excess flour from the tins after coating.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside. Pour milk into measuring cup and add lemon juice. Allow to sit while preparing other ingredients.
- Cream together butter and sugar until lightened in color, about 3 minutes. Add an egg, one at a time, taking care to fully incorporate before adding the other. Mix in vanilla, lemon zest, and poppy seeds.
- Gently fold in flour mixture, alternating with milk. Stir until just combined. Scoop mixture into prepared muffin tins, filling about 2/3 to 3/4 full. Bake until a toothpick or skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Prepare glaze topping for muffins while the muffins are baking by stirring together until well-combined.
- Once muffins have baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly in the muffin tin. Then, remove each muffin and drizzle with lemon glaze. Place onto a plate to finish cooling or serve slightly warm.