These mocha chocolate chip cookies make a great addition to your cookie recipe collection.
My son’s favorite cookies of all time are these chocolate chip oatmeal cookies that I’ve talked about before. As soon as the cookie jar is emptied from one batch, he’s immediately asking if we can make more. I have to agree with him, they are some of the best cookies I’ve ever tasted.
Well, the other day I wanted to make them, but with a little twist.
I was craving chocolate.
I was craving a big mocha from Starbucks.
Since there isn’t a Starbucks close by that I could just hop in the car and visit lickity split to end that craving, I decided I’d make Little Buddy’s cookies with a few additional ingredients to feed my craving, too.
I’ll admit, I was nervous that he wouldn’t like them. He’s pretty serious when it comes to his cookies.
But in the name of adventure, in the name of expanding his cookie-tasting horizons, and in the name of feeding Mama’s chocolate cravings – I made them.
And he loves them.
Here’s how I make them.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- ½ cup oats, quick cooking
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- ¼ cup brewed coffee
- 1½ cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350º Fahrenheit.
- Cream butter then add sugars and mix until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix until well-combined.
- Add flour, oats, sea salt, and baking soda to butter mixture. Mix in cocoa and coffee. Mix well and then stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop chocolate chip cookie dough onto a cookie sheet spacing well apart to allow room for the cookie to spread lightly.
- Bake for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
I guess the moral to this recipe (if there is such a thing), is that every once in a while it is okay to fiddle with a favorite. You never know, it might just become a new one.
Hope you enjoy it.