Southern Macaroni Salad makes a delicious addition to picnics, potlucks, and any get-together! An easy make-ahead staple, this macaroni salad is a definite go-to recipe for your summer parties!
I love this easy macaroni salad! It is so simple to toss together for a quick and easy side dish any time of the year and is absolutely perfect for making ahead to serve, cover and keep in the refrigerator for cookouts, picnics, reunions, or any other gathering throughout the summer months! Cool and delicious, it always seems to go quickly!
My macaroni salad recipe includes a few ingredients that I particularly love in macaroni salad, but you can absolutely customize the ingredients based on your preference. For instance, I love jalapenos and pimentos – so of course, I’ve included them in my salad. I also love the flavor of celery seed. I use it in my favorite coleslaw recipe and just can’t get enough of it! So, I added a bit of it to my this salad as well.
Some other additions that I love to include from time to time are halved grape tomatoes, green olives, and even bacon crumbles. Talk about divine!
My aunt always had boiled eggs in hers, but I decided to leave it out of mine so that those who couldn’t eat eggs could still enjoy it. But, it sure is mighty delicious in there, too!
I guess the moral of this story is this.
Add whatever you want.
Leave out what you don’t.
Make it ahead.
Make it right before.
Make it often.
Here’s my Macaroni Salad Recipe. Make it soon!
- 2 cups cooked elbow macaroni noodles
- ½ cup diced celery
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 (4-ounce) jar diced pimentos
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- Add the macaroni noodles, celery, jalapeno, pimentos, and green onions to a large bowl. In a small mixing bowl, stir together mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Pour over the macaroni and stir until well combined.
- Serve immediately or cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve, up to two days.
From the Add a Pinch recipe archives. Originally published in 2014.