Southern Macaroni and Cheese
Southern Macaroni and Cheese Recipe - Macaroni and cheese makes a classic dish everyone loves. This Southern macaroni and cheese recipe is an heirloom family recipe that everyone loves! Make-ahead and freezer friendly!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 1 (8-ounce) package elbow noodles cooked and drained
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups homemade cream of chicken soup or 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup + 10 3/4 ounces of water
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 3 heaping tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup pimento pepper chopped (large jar)
- 1 sleeve Ritz Crackers crumbled
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
Preheat oven to 350º F.
Mix the cooked noodles, cheese, cream of chicken soup (and water if using store-bought), onion, mayonnaise, and pimentos together in a large bowl. Spread into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix Ritz Crackers and melted butter until thoroughly blended. Sprinkle crackers on top of casserole.
Bake at 350º F degrees until the cheese have melted and the top is golden brown, 30 minutes.
If using homemade cream of chicken soup, do not add water. If using store-bought cream of chicken soup, do add the water. Make-Ahead:
Prepare Southern Macaroni and Cheese recipe without baking and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Bake as directed for serving.
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories: 331kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 673mg | Potassium: 129mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 575IU | Vitamin C: 0.3mg | Calcium: 221mg | Iron: 1.2mg