This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Southern Macaroni and Cheese Recipe – Macaroni and cheese makes a classic dish everyone loves. This Southern macaroni and cheese recipe is an heirloom family recipe that everyone loves! Make-ahead and freezer friendly!
One of my favorite dishes growing up was this Southern Macaroni and Cheese recipe. And as an adult, I can easily say that it remains the best macaroni and cheese that I’ve ever tasted. It is creamy and comforting with a slight little change from the ordinary macaroni and cheese recipes you may have tried before and light years from the boxed varieties you find in the supermarket.This macaroni and cheese comes together so easily, you can have it on the table for a busy weeknight supper even though it tastes like you’ve been working away on it for hours. One of my favorite things to do is to make this macaroni and cheese ahead of time to make weeknights even easier! It is stores well in the refrigerator for 3 days in advance or in the freezer for up to a month.
Southern Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
This macaroni and cheese is a family-favorite recipe that must have been a Southern church potluck staple during my Grandmother and my husband’s Grandmother’s hay day. Actually, my husband’s great aunt Thelma is credited with this recipe on his side of the family while my Grandmother’s friend Doris is credited on mine.
I like to just thank them both.
They both deserve the thanks for bringing this macaroni and cheese into each of our lives.
I’m ever so grateful.
I think you will be too when you make it. And you really should make it soon – and often. It’s Southern comfort food at its finest.
Then just watch it disappear.
It’s like magic how quickly it goes.
You really should make it soon.
You’ll be thanking Aunt T and Mrs. Doris, too.
How to Meal Prep
Prep the ingredients and place into separate freezer-safe containers. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To cook, allow to thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then proceed with the recipe as written.
Here’s our Southern Macaroni and Cheese Recipe. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Southern Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 (8-ounce) package elbow noodles cooked and drained
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups homemade cream of chicken soup or 1 (10 ¾ ounce) can cream of chicken soup + 10 ¾ ounces of water
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 3 heaping tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup pimento pepper chopped (large jar)
- 1 sleeve Ritz Crackers crumbled
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Mix the cooked noodles, cheese, cream of chicken soup (and water if using store-bought), onion, mayonnaise, and pimentos together in a large bowl. Spread into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix Ritz Crackers and melted butter until thoroughly blended. Sprinkle crackers on top of casserole.
- Bake at 350º F degrees until the cheese have melted and the top is golden brown, 30 minutes.
Prepare Southern Macaroni and Cheese recipe without baking and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Bake as directed for serving.