Green Bean Casserole Recipe
This Easy Green Bean Casserole is a fresh take on classic family recipe! It’s the easiest, creamiest and most delicious green bean casserole recipe ever. Made even more delicious with homemade cream of chicken!
Green bean casserole makes a classic side dish that’s perfect for family suppers and holiday meals. This fresh spin on an old family green bean casserole recipe is definitely a delicious favorite!
It’s confession time. I never really liked green bean casserole growing up. Those competing textures and flavors were just not something I enjoyed.
Flash forward to being married and being in charge of my own Thanksgiving meal. I asked all of the family and friends that were attending what they loved for Thanksgiving. Sure enough, multiple people proclaimed their love for green bean casserole. It was at the top of their lists behind turkey and dressing so I knew I had to oblige.
Throughout the years, I’ve played with that original family recipe to make one that the original green bean casserole lovers loved and that I finally could look forward to eating as well.
The ingredients are very similar, it’s just that I treated them differently in my green bean casserole recipe.
A Fresh Take on Green Bean Casserole
Rather than topping the casserole recipe with fried onions, I saute them with mushrooms and garlic and stir them together with the green beans. I also add just a pinch of red pepper flakes to amp up the flavor just a tad.
So to give my casserole that signature crunchy topping, I sprinkle panko crumbs on top for the last few minutes that the casserole is baking. If you don’t have panko crumbs, you could also use crushed butter crackers, you know the kind that seem to top every southern casserole! Ha!
How to Make Green Bean Casserole
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Then spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
Bring about 2 quarts of water to a rolling boil. Then add the green beans to the boiling water and cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the boiling water and place in a bowl of ice water or rinse immediately with ice cold water. Then set the green beans aside.
Meanwhile, melt the butter and saute the onions and mushrooms until tender, about 7 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute or so. Add the green beans to the sauteed onions and mushrooms. Then stir in cream of chicken soup and red pepper flakes, if using.
Spread into a prepared baking dish and bake for 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven and sprinkle Panko crumbs on top and return to the oven for the last 10 minutes.
Finally, remove the green bean casserole from the oven and enjoy!
Make Ahead Green Bean Casserole
If you are like me and like to have as many dishes prepped ahead of time as possible, this trick for Make Ahead Green Bean Casserole is perfect for you!
Once you have spread your green bean casserole mixture into the baking dish, cover with a tight fitting lid or wrap well with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for up to three days. Then, when ready to serve, remove from the refrigerator and bake as directed for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven and top with topping and bake the remainder of the time.
Here’s my Green Bean Casserole recipe. I hope you love it as much as we all do!
Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound fresh or frozen green beans trimmed to 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 12 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 cups cream of chicken soup homemade or store-bought
- pinch red pepper flakes optional
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray 9x13 baking dish with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
- Bring about 2 quarts of water to a rolling boil. Add green beans to the boiling water and cook for 5-7 minutes. Remove from the boiling water and place in a bowl of ice water or immediately rinse with ice cold water. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt butter and saute onions and mushrooms until tender, about 7-8 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute or so. Add green beans to sauted onions and mushrooms. Stir in cream of chicken soup and red pepper flakes, if using. Spread into prepared baking dish and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle panko crumbs on top and return to the oven for the last 10 minutes.