These Chewy Sugar Cookies are soft, chewy and delicious! Quick and easy to make, this sugar cookie recipe produces a flavorful bakery style soft sugar cookie that turns out perfectly every time!
Sugar cookies are always a favorite no matter the occasion! Great for holidays, as homemade gift for a sick friend or as an afternoon treat, these well-loved cookies are just perfect! And this recipe makes absolutely the BEST sugar cookies I’ve ever tasted!
Sugar Cookies are one of my very favorite cookies in the entire world. I bake all types of them for various occasions through the year. When I want a soft, rolled sugar cookie dough to cut into shapes and decorate, my Cut Out Sugar Cookie recipe is my go-to. delicious and flavorful. It holds icing and tastes out of this world!
But when I just want a soft, chewy bakery-style sugar cookie to serve or share, these Chewy Sugar Cookies, as well as my Lemon Sugar Cookies or my Chocolate Sugar Cookies, are quick, simple and amazing! The soft, chewy texture and out of this world flavor brings me back time after time. They are truly one of the most perfect cookies ever.
The BEST Chewy Sugar Cookie Recipe
These soft, chewy sugar cookies stay soft for days, come together quickly and are a perfect drop-style cookie. I truly think these are the Best Chewy Sugar Cookies!
This is by far one of my most requested cookie recipes throughout the holidays, but also throughout the year. Here’s how you’ll make them.
How to Make the BEST Sugar Cookies
To make these favorite cookies, you’ll need:
- granulated sugar
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- Kosher salt
- vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
Cream together butter and sugar with a stand mixer or hand mixer, until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Then add egg and mix until well combined. Be sure to not over-beat the butter and sugar when creaming it together. Doing so could cause the cookies to rise and fall flat when baking.
Stir in flour, baking powder and salt until combined. Then stir in vanilla.
Scoop cookie dough with a tablespoon and roll into a ball. Be sure to not over handle the balls of dough as will make butter too warm.
Add sugar to a large bowl for rolling. Lightly roll cookie dough balls in the granulated sugar to coat them. This adds a sparkly touch that lends a crisp little coating on the cookie once it is baked. While you can certainly skip this little step, I highly recommend that you not. It is so worth it!
Place each rolled cookie dough ball onto a parchment lined baking sheet, about 1 1/2 to 2 inches apart. Make sure to provide ample spacing between each cookie for best results.
Lightly press each cookie down with finger.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Place on a cookie platter and serve. Cookies can be stored in a cookie jar or covered and kept on the counter for up to one week.
It is just that perfect chewy, soft sugar cookie recipe that everyone raves over! You’ll definitely want to keep this sugar cookie recipe in your list of must-make cookie recipes. It’s perfect for any cookie platter, cookie exchange or a homemade baked gift tray.
How to Make Ahead, Store, and Freeze Sugar Cookies
For an easy make ahead sugar cookie recipe, prepare your sugar cookie dough, through rolling in the sugar, and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Place into the freezer and freeze for 30 minutes. Transfer your cookies to a freezer-safe zip top bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When ready to serve, simply remove from the freezer-safe bag and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake as directed, adding about 3 minutes to the baking time.
Once baked, store cookies on the counter for up to a week.
Fun Sugar Cookie Recipe Options
- Frosted Sugar Cookies – Be sure to use my family’s sugar Cookie Icing recipe for frosted sugar cookies. A pinch of sprinkles on top is always fun!
- Color Sprinkles Sugar Cookies – Roll your sugar cookies in colored sprinkles (red or green for the holidays or pink for a little girl’s birthday) for a festive cookie!
- Confetti Sugar Cookies – Mix colored confetti sprinkles in your cookie dough before scooping.
Other Easy Cookie Recipes:
Here’s my Chewy Sugar Cookies Recipe. I hope you love it as much as we do.
The BEST Chewy Sugar Cookies Recipe!
- 1 cup butter, softened 2 sticks
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar for rolling cookies
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- Cream together butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and mix until well-combined.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt until well-combined. Stir in vanilla.
- Scoop cookie dough by the tablespoon full and roll into a ball.
- Add granulated sugar to a large bowl for rolling cookie dough in before baking. Place each ball of cookie dough into the bowl of granulated sugar and roll to coat well. Place cookie dough onto baking sheet, spacing about 1 1/2-inches to 2 inches apart. Lightly press each cookie down. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.