Strawberry Shortcake makes a classic dessert. Made of tender biscuits, topped with sweetened strawberries, and whipped cream, this simple strawberry shortcake is a favorite!
Are you looking for a simple, yet scrumptious Strawberry Shortcake recipe that is out of this world delicious, and different from others that you’ve had before? Well, sweet friends, this is it!
This strawberry shortcake recipe is one of those recipes that is great for Easter, Mother’s Day, and all of those spring and summer get togethers! It is definitely one that I turn to time and again when we have friends or family for dinner since it takes less than 30 minutes to make from start to finish! How great is that?
A well-loved family favorite recipe, I first shared it in the Add a Pinch cookbook. It is one of the desserts that when I serve it, people love it!
If you are thinking that this strawberry shortcake recipe is surely like the others you’ve had before – made with biscuit mix, ordered at a restaurant, or even made with pound cake slices – let me just tell you it isn’t!
What’s the difference? The sweetened cream cheese biscuits. They take strawberry shortcake to a whole new level!
The cream cheese makes the biscuits tender and flakey and there is just enough sugar to give the biscuits a touch of sweetness. I think you’ll love them right by themselves, but topped with juicy strawberries and whipped cream? Yes, please!
How to Make Strawberry Shortcakes with Cream Cheese Biscuits
Prepare the Strawberries
Toss the hulled and sliced strawberries with 2 tablespoons of sugar in a small bowl. The sugar just helps the strawberries to release their sweet juices! If your strawberries aren’t especially sweet, you can of course add just a little bit more, if needed.
Make the Biscuits
I love to make my strawberry shortcakes with sweetened cream cheese biscuits to really take the recipe to the next level. However, I’m also including the option of using my quick and easy cream biscuit recipe which only uses two ingredients. They are delicious in this recipe as well, but I do urge you to try the sweetened cream cheese version as soon as possible!
Sweetened Cream Cheese Biscuits Recipe
To make the sweetened cream cheese biscuits, I combine self-rising flour and then add a little salt, a little sugar, softened cream cheese, and butter with a pastry blender.
Then, I add my milk and stir until the biscuit dough is just combined. Dust a pastry cloth (or paper towels work in a pinch) with a little bit of flour and turn the biscuit dough out onto the floured cloth.
I knead gently for about three turns and then fold each side of the dough into the center and roll until the dough is about 1/2-inch thick.
Cut out rounds of the dough using a 3-inch cutter and then place the dough onto a baking sheet and bake until light golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
Two Ingredient Cream Biscuits
This shortcake recipe is also delicious with my two ingredient cream biscuits, if you prefer. You really can’t go wrong with either!
Make the Whipped Cream
I like to make my whipped cream either while the biscuits are baking or even earlier in the day so that I have everything ready for assembling my strawberry shortcakes!
Assemble the Strawberry Shortcakes
I really enjoy assembling the shortcakes! You can make such an eye-catching (not to mention delicious) dessert presentation so easily.
To assemble, split open the biscuits and top the bottom halves with the strawberries and some of their juice, along with a dollop of whipped cream on each. Place a biscuit top on each stack and repeat the layering of strawberries, strawberry juice, and whipped cream.
Spoon more strawberry juice over the top of the whipped cream on the assembled shortcakes.
Garnish each shortcake with a fresh ripe strawberry or a sprig of fresh mint, if you wish. Then serve and enjoy!
Can You Make Ahead Strawberry Shortcake?
YES! This is one of my favorite things about this recipe! You can easily prepare all of the individual ingredients ahead and then assemble them when you are ready to serve.
Here’s the recipe for my Strawberry Shortcake with Sweet Cream Biscuits recipe! I think you’ll love them as much as we do!
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 1 pint strawberries hulled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Sweetened Cream Cheese Biscuits
- 2 cups self-rising flour + more for dusting
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature, cut into chunks
- 5 tablespoons frozen, salted butter grated
- ½ cup whole milk
- Toss together the strawberries and 2 tablespoons of the sugar in a small bowl. Refrigerate while you make the biscuits and whipped cream and until ready to serve.
Sweetened Cream Cheese Biscuits Recipe
- Preheat oven to 475ºF.
- Combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, salt, cream cheese, and butter with a pastry blender in a medium bowl. Pour in the milk and stir until just well combined.
- Dust a pastry cloth (or paper towels) lightly with flour. Turn the dough onto the floured cloth and knead gently about 3 turns. Fold each side of the dough into the center. Lightly flour a rolling pin and roll the dough ½-inch thick. Cut out rounds of the dough using a 3-inch cutter, taking care not to twist the cutter. Place the biscuits on an uncreased rimmed baking sheet and bake until light golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Assemble each of the shortcakes. Split open the sweet cream cheese biscuits and top the bottom halves with the strawberries and some of their juice and a dollop of whipped cream. Place a biscuit top on each stack and repeat the layering of the strawberries, juices and whipped cream. Spoon more strawberry juices over the whipped cream and serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
These are one oh my hubbies favorites too!!! YUMO
This is so incredibly delicious for spring!
Strawberry shortcake has such a big place in my heart. Love this recipe!
There is really nothing better – gorgeous photos!
I want those plates AND a piece of that cake!
Looks SO good…makes me wish summer would finally make it to Michigan. In my family we slice the biscuits, butter them, throw on the strawberries and pour whipping cream (un-whipped) over it and sprinkle with sugar. YUM!
I would love to know where you got those plates!