Simple Baked Chicken Breast Recipe
The best baked chicken breast is simple with this recipe! Ready in less than 30 minutes, perfect to make-ahead and use in other chicken breast recipes too!
If there is one thing that I make more often than not for my family, it is chicken. It is a weeknight staple at my house and a main dish that I can always depend on my family loving. But, I have a secret way of preparing my baked chicken so that I’m never hearing, “chicken agaaaainnnn….” complaints.
That wasn’t always the case.
I remember years of rubbery chicken that I’d baked to death. Then, Bart, Sam and I moved in with his parents for a few months while our house was being built. While that seems like forever ago now, I’ll never forget watching my mother-in-law, Tish, make her chicken and ham roll ups for a family dinner. That’s when it dawned on me that I’d been baking my chicken all wrong.
Baked Chicken Breast Recipe
Now, my baked chicken is tender, juicy, and absolutely scrumptious! If I do say so myself! And, by the emails that I get requesting recipes for using boneless, skinless chicken breast, it sounds like this might be a recipe that you would like as well.
There are a few tricks for this simple baked chicken breast, but once you learn how to cook chicken breast, you’ll turn to it time and again!
How to Bake Chicken Breast
To make it, I preheat my oven to 450º F. While the oven is preheating, I drizzle a little olive oil into my skillet (if I’m making a few) or a 9×13 casserole dish (if I’m making a larger batch). Then, I arrange my chicken in the pan, allowing it to touch but not overlap. I then drizzle on a bit more olive oil and then sprinkle liberally with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Then, into the oven it goes, situated on the middle rack of the oven. I let it bake until the juices run clear when the chicken is pricked with a sharp knife and the internal temperature registers 160º F, about 20 minutes. The time will depend on the thickness of your chicken breasts.
Then, I remove the skillet or casserole dish from the oven, cover it with foil and let the chicken rest for another 5 minutes to allow the chicken to rest. This makes for a tender a delicious chicken breast every single time! Just say no to that rubbery, dried out chicken of the past!
Simple Chicken Breast Video
Here’s the recipe for my Simple Baked Chicken Breast Recipe. I think you are going to love it as much as my family does!
Simple Baked Chicken Breast Recipe
- olive oil
- 6 - 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450º F. Arrange the oven rack to the middle position.
- Drizzle the olive oil into a large (12-inch) skillet or 9x13 casserole dish. Arrange the chicken breasts in the pan, making sure that they touch but do not overlap. Drizzle on additional olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and the pepper.
- Place the baking pan (skillet or casserole dish) into the oven on the middle rack. Bake until the juices of the chicken run clear when the chicken is pricked with a sharp knife and the internal temperature registers 160º F when checked with an internal thermometer, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the baking pan from the oven, tent with foil and allow the chicken to rest undisturbed for 5 minutes. Then, remove the foil from the pan and serve warm.
Allow baked chicken breast to cool and then store in sealable freezer bags in the refrigerator for up to a week and in the freezer for up to 2 months.