This baked chicken breast recipe makes the best baked chicken! Simple 3-step method and 3 ingredients for the most juicy, tender, and delicious baked chicken breasts.
One of my family’s favorite dinner recipes is baked chicken breast. It is a weeknight go-to at my house. Served with a baked potato, vegetables, or with our house salad, it is a staple. I also love to meal prep by keeping a few pieces of baked chicken breast in the fridge throughout the week for a quick lunch or to use in my husband’s favorite chicken salad with grapes or our hot chicken salad.
The Best Baked Chicken Breast
As much as I love chicken, when it’s tough and dry, it’s not the most appetizing. I tested and tested to refine this recipe to make the juiciest, most flavorful and best chicken that the whole family will love!
Now, my baked chicken breast recipe is tender, juicy, and absolutely scrumptious! And from the many requests I get for recipes using chicken breasts, I knew you would enjoy it too.
It is a simple, classic chicken dinner recipe that makes the perfect healthy comfort food.
No brining needed!
Table of Contents
How to Make Juicy Baked Chicken Breast Recipe
Be sure to see the recipe card below for the full listing of ingredients, instructions, notes, and estimated nutritional information.
To make the most delicious baked chicken, you’ll need 3 ingredients!
- Chicken – this recipe uses boneless, skinless chicken breasts. If your chicken is frozen, it is best to let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight until it is fully thawed.
- Olive oil– use your favorite olive oil to drizzle into the pan and drizzle on top of the chicken. If you do not have olive oil, you can also use an equal amount of butter.
- Seasonings – I prefer to use my homemade seasoning of Stone House Seasoning. It is simply a blend of kosher salt, black pepper, and granulated garlic. At the very basic, I recommend using salt and black pepper. Still, you can also season with Italian Seasoning, Ranch Seasoning, or even Taco Seasoning, depending on how you plan to use your oven-baked chicken breast in recipes. Some people also like to use paprika, onion powder, oregano, parmesan and parsley, and even brown sugar. Feel free to season your chicken to suit your personal tastes! We also love them brushed with a delicious bbq sauce!
Preheat. Preheat the oven to 450º F. Arrange the oven rack to the middle position.
Prep. While the oven is preheating, pat the chicken breast dry with a paper towel. I drizzle a little olive oil into my skillet (if I’m making a few), 9×13 baking dish (if I’m making a medium batch), or baking sheet (if I’m making a larger batch). Arrange the chicken in the pan, allowing it to touch but not overlap. Drizzle with a bit more olive oil, and then sprinkle liberally with your seasoning of choice (salt and pepper as a minimum). Then, place it in the oven.
Cook. Bake chicken breasts until the juices run clear when the thickest part of the chicken is pricked with a sharp knife, and the internal temperature registers 160º F with a meat thermometer or instant-read thermometer, about 20 minutes. The time will depend on the thickness of your chicken breasts.
Rest. Remove the skillet or casserole dish from the oven, tent it with foil, and let the chicken rest for another 5 minutes. This makes for a tender delicious chicken breast every single time!
How to Bake Bone-in Chicken Breast
To make this recipe with bone-in chicken, you’ll follow the same instructions as you would for boneless (with one special tip!). The cooking time will vary based on the thickness of your chicken.
Here’s the tip! As your chicken rests, flip it onto the breast side. When ready to serve, flip it back over onto the bone-in side. This will allow the juices to gather in the breast portion and give you the juiciest chicken!
To make ahead. Allow to cool and then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
To freeze. Allow it to cool completely and then place it into a freezer-safe airtight container for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat and serve.
Meal Prep Tip!
Bake a large batch of chicken to use throughout the week in salads, sandwiches, and other meals. Freeze to use within 3 months.
Some Favorite Side Dishes to Serve with Chicken Breast
Here’s the recipe for my easy Baked Chicken Breast recipe. I think you are going to love it as much as my family does!
Best Baked Chicken Breast Recipe
- olive oil, or butter
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon Stone House Seasoning, or your favorite seasoning
- Preheat. Preheat the oven to 450º F. Arrange the oven rack to the middle position.
- Prep. Pat the chicken breast dry with a paper towel. Drizzle a little olive oil into my skillet (if I’m making a few), 9×13 baking dish (if I’m making a medium batch), or sheet pan (if I’m making a larger batch). Arrange the chicken in the pan, allowing it to touch but not overlap. Drizzle with a bit more olive oil and then sprinkle liberally with your seasoning of choice (salt and pepper as a minimum). Then, place into the oven.
- Cook. Bake chicken breasts until the juices run clear when the thickest part of the chicken is pricked with a sharp knife and the internal temperature registers 160º F with a meat thermometer or instant read thermometer, about 20 minutes. The time will depend on the thickness of your chicken breasts.
- Rest. Remove the skillet or casserole dish from the oven, tent it with foil and let the chicken rest for another 5 minutes. Serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.