The best baked chicken breast is simple with this recipe! Ready in less than 30 minutes, perfect to make-ahead and use in other chicken breast recipes too! No brining needed!
If there is one thing that I make more often than not for my family, it is chicken. This is a favorite weeknight chicken dinner at my house and a main dish that I can always depend on my family loving. But, I have a secret way of preparing my baked chicken breast so that I’m never hearing, “chicken agaaaainnnn….” complaints.
That wasn’t always the case.
I remember years of tough, dry chicken that I’d baked to death. Then we moved in with his parents for a few months while our house was being built. While that seems like forever ago now, I’ll never forget watching my mother-in-law make her chicken and ham roll ups for a family dinner. That’s when it dawned on me that I’d been baking my chicken all wrong.
The Best Baked Chicken Breast
Now, my baked chicken is tender, juicy, and absolutely scrumptious! If I do say so myself! And, by the emails that I get requesting recipes for using boneless, skinless chicken breast, it sounds like this might be a recipe that you would like as well.
There are a few tricks for this simple baked chicken breast recipe, but once you learn how to cook chicken breast, you’ll turn to it time and again! No brining needed!
Ingredients to Make the Best Baked Chicken Breast
To make the the most delicious baked chicken, you’ll just need 3 ingredients!
- Chicken – this recipe uses boneless, skinless chicken breasts. If your chicken is frozen, it is best to allow it to thaw in the refrigerator overnight until it is fully thawed.
- Olive oil – use your favorite olive oil to drizzle into the pan as well as to drizzle on top of the chicken. If you do not have olive oil, you can also use an equal amount of butter.
- Seasonings – I prefer to use my homemade seasoning of Stone House Seasoning. It is simply a blend of salt, pepper and granulated garlic. At the very basic, I recommend using salt and pepper, but you can also season with Italian Seasoning, Ranch Seasoning, or even Taco Seasoning depending on how you plan to use your baked chicken in recipes. We also love them brushed with a delicious homemade bbq sauce!
How to Make Tender Juicy Baked Chicken Breast
- Preheat. Preheat the oven to 450º F.
- Prep. While the oven is preheating, I drizzle a little olive oil into my skillet (if I’m making a few) or a 9×13 casserole dish (if I’m making a larger batch). Arrange the chicken in the pan, allowing it to touch but not overlap. Drizzle with a bit more olive oil and then sprinkle liberally with your seasoning of choice (salt and pepper as a minimum). Then, place into the oven situated on the middle rack.
- Cook. Bake the chicken until the juices run clear when the chicken is pricked with a sharp knife and the internal temperature registers 160º F with a meat thermometer, about 20 minutes. The time will depend on the thickness of your chicken breasts.
- Rest. Remove the skillet or casserole dish from the oven, cover it with foil and let the chicken rest for another 5 minutes to allow the chicken to rest. This makes for a tender a delicious chicken breast every single time!
Just say no to that rubbery, dried out chicken of the past and hello to the best tender, juicy chicken that everyone raves over!
Can You Freeze Baked Chicken?
Yes! Simply allow it to cool completely and then place it into an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat and serve.
Some Favorite Side Dishes to Serve with Chicken Breast
Here’s the recipe for my Simple Baked Chicken Breast Recipe. I think you are going to love it as much as my family does!
Best Baked Chicken Breast Recipe
- olive oil or butter
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon Stone House Seasoning or your favorite seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 450º F. Arrange the oven rack to the middle position.
- Drizzle the olive oil into a large (12-inch) skillet or 9×13 casserole dish. Arrange the chicken breasts in the pan, making sure that they touch but do not overlap. Drizzle on additional olive oil and sprinkle with the Stone House Seasoning or your favorite seasoning.
- Place the baking pan (skillet or casserole dish) into the oven on the middle rack. Bake until the juices of the chicken run clear when the chicken is pricked with a sharp knife and the internal temperature registers 160º F when checked with an internal thermometer, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the baking pan from the oven, tent with foil and allow the chicken to rest undisturbed for 5 minutes. Then, remove the foil from the pan and serve warm.
Allow baked chicken breast to cool and then store in sealable freezer bags in the refrigerator for up to a week and in the freezer for up to 3 months.