This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This favorite Fish Taco Recipe is made with white fish, and fresh toppings and drizzled with a zesty cream sauce. Quick and easy fish tacos are ready in less than 30 minutes for a delicious meal anytime!
Looking for more delicious fish and seafood recipes? I think you’ll love my Tuna Salad, Teriyaki Salmon with Green Beans, and my Shrimp Creole.
Fish tacos are simple to make yet so full of amazing flavor. Plump white fish like mahi-mahi, halibut, and grouper are my favorites, but any white fish will work. Top with salad greens or crisp shredded cabbage, pico de Gallo, and an out-of-this-world sriracha cream sauce for absolutely scrumptious tacos!
Fish tacos are a favorite taco recipe in my house. Not only are these delicious, but they are also on the table in less than 30 minutes. That makes them a quick and easy supper option and perfect for weekend entertaining too!
Fresh toppings make this such a satisfying favorite. Make sure to try a drizzle of the sriracha cream sauce for a flavor combination that will be a favorite in your house as well!
Fish Taco Recipe
Flaky, white fish make the best tacos in my opinion. My family loves fish of all kinds, but some of our favorite kinds of white fish to use in these tacos are mahi-mahi, halibut, or grouper. You can also use tilapia or cod. I prefer to choose a white fish that’s fresh and wild caught if possible.
How to Make Fish Tacos
This recipe is quick, simple, and versatile for a delicious fish taco you can have ready for weeknight dinner or weekend entertaining in less than 30 minutes.
Be sure to see the recipe card below for the full listing of ingredients, instructions, notes, and the estimated nutritional information.
- White fish – flaky, fresh, wild-caught if possible. Mahi-mahi, halibut, grouper, tilapia, and cod are all delicious in these tacos.
- Olive oil – a drizzle of your favorite olive oil cooks the fish beautifully for these tacos.
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt – choose your favorite of these two to blend with sriracha for the cream sauce
- Sriracha – adds a kick of spiciness to the cream sauce that pairs perfectly with the mild fish.
- Salad Greens or Shredded Cabbage – pick your preference of the two options. My family prefers salad greens but crunchy cabbage is delicious as well.
- Pico de Gallo – prefer to make ahead and chill in the fridge -adds another fresh flavor layer to the taco.
- Tortillas – I love to use flour tortillas for these tacos. You can use corn tortillas as well.
- Lime – a wedge of lime served with each taco makes an attractive presentation and brings out the flavors when squeezed on top of the tacos before eating.
- Heat the skillet. Start by heating a skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Prep. Drizzle the skillet or griddle with a bit of olive oil and place the fish onto the griddle or skillet.
- Cook. Place fish onto the oiled skillet and cook on one side for a few minutes before turning. The fish should be golden and turn loose from the pan easily before turning. After turning the fish, continue to cook until the fish reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit. Fish that is fully cooked will also look opaque and will be flaky. Remove the cooked fish and allow it to rest for a few minutes before breaking or cutting it into large pieces.
- Prepare other ingredients. While the fish is cooking, gather the tortillas, salad greens or cabbage, limes, and pico de gallo.
- Mix the Cream Sauce. To mix the Sriracha Cream Sauce, take ¼ cup of sour cream or Greek yogurt and mix it with 2 tablespoons of sriracha. You can alter the amount of sriracha according to taste. If you have small children or people that don’t like spiciness, you can serve it with my Avocado Crema. Both are delicious with these tacos!
- Assemble and Serve. To assemble the tacos, layer lettuce or cabbage greens inside the middle of a flour tortilla. Then add pieces of cooked white fish, spoon on the Sriracha cream, then top with some pico de gallo. Serve with a wedge of lime to squeeze over the taco before eating. Delicious!
What to Serve with Fish Tacos
In addition to the toppings in my recipe, many times, I will add other condiments to go along with it. Sometimes I also serve with guacamole, my restaurant-style salsa, or mango blueberry salsa on the side, especially if I’m serving these for a weekend gathering and not just for supper.
More often than not, I serve Cilantro Lime Rice with these tacos for supper and for guests. It makes the perfect side dish!
More Favorite Taco Recipes
Here’s my simple Fish Tacos recipe. I think you’ll love it!
Fish Tacos Recipe
- 1 pound flaky white fish
- olive oil
- 1/4 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 6 corn or flour tortillas
- 2 cups salad greens or shredded cabbage
- pico de gallo
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Heat skillet or griddle over medium heat. Drizzle olive oil and place fish onto griddle or skillet. Cook until fish reaches an internal temperature of 145º F. Remove and allow to rest for about 3 minutes before cutting into large pieces for tacos.
- As fish is cooking, mix together sour cream or Greek yogurt with Sriracha sauce in a small bowl.
- To assemble fish tacos, layer lettuce or cabbage greens inside the middle of a flour tortilla. Then add pieces of cooked white fish, spoon on Sriracha cream, then top with pico de gallo. Serve with a wedge of lime to be squeezed over fish taco before eating.
Did you make this recipe?
Mention @addapinch or tag #addapinch!
Share it with the world!
This recipe looks delicious,i can’t wait to make them.Robyn could you please tell me how to make the Sriracha cream sauce.I’ve never heard of it before.Also what is pico de gallo,and where can i get it.I am truly into your recipes Thank You soooo much.Hope to hear from u soon.
Welcome! The instructions for making the Sriracha cream sauce are included in step number 2 of the instructions. For the pico de gallo recipe, just click on the words in the ingredients listing and it will take you to my recipe for it. I hope that helps!!
People around here always look at me like I’m crazy when I mention fish tacos. I always tell them that it’s not like I’m mixing fish with packaged taco seasoning! My adventurous eater husband even thought I was nuts till he tried them…but now they’re one of his favorites!
When I click on pico de gallo, the page says error 404.
Could you please double check.
Thanks. By the way, they sound delicious.
Thanks so much for letting me know, Nancy! I will get that fixed as soon as possible. But in the meantime, here is the Pico de Gallo recipe.
I hope you enjoy the fish tacos and the pico!
Oh this will be PERFECT to make this weekend when we have friends over!!
I KNOW they will turn out GREAT!
It’s such an easy and delicious recipe to make! I hope you and your friends enjoy this, Cindy. Have a fun weekend! Take care. Thanks! xo
This is going on my menu for the week! Is Sirascha sauce spicy? Not sure my kiddo will go for that! If so, do you have an alternate recommendation ?
YOu could use an avocado crema instead which is very mild and great for children! I hope you love it!
Do you warm the tortillas? Is that included in the time? I don’t think I could get the cream, pico, and tortillas ready in 5 minutes.
If you want, you can warm them Deb if you enjoy them that way. I have my pico made ahead of time and in the fridge. The entire recipe takes around 25 minutes and I prep everything according to the steps of the recipe. I hope you enjoy them! Thanks!
Sooooo delicious Robyn! We didn’t have any Sriracha at home so we used some hoisin (I think its a sweet Asian sauce). The kids can’t wait to have these tacos again!!
Do you usually make or buy your pico de gallo?
I’m so happy you and your family enjoyed these! I always make my Pico de Gallo. We love it so much – I almost always have some made in my fridge. 😉 Hope you like it as well! Thanks!
Absolutely delicious! Made the exact recipe and it was superb! I will definitely be making this again.Thank you for another great recipe.
I’m so glad you enjoyed this recipe. Thank you.
Excellent recipe goona try this for outdoor grill party