This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These delicious Shrimp Tacos are ready in 15 minutes, loaded with shrimp and fresh ingredients for the best shrimp taco recipe!
Quick and easy, these Shrimp Tacos make a fresh, scrumptious favorite meal! They are perfect for entertaining too. Grilled shrimp, fresh crunchy cabbage, cilantro, fresh Pico de Gallo, nestled in a soft taco and drizzled with a delectable spicy cream sauce, makes a scrumptious taco that everyone enjoys.
These shrimp tacos have been a long time favorite in my house for a long time. Lots of fresh, succulent shrimp and other flavorful ingredients in a recipe that’s so quick and simple to make. We eat them often, especially during the spring and summer and I love to serve them for casual summer gatherings with friends too.
Shrimp Tacos Recipe
This recipe is one I always make every single time I visit the beach. I make them often at home too with wild caught shrimp. But when I go to the beach – it’s a given that shrimp recipes like these tacos, my Boiled Shrimp and other seafood recipes like Fish Tacos and Seared Scallops are about to happen! As soon as we arrive at the beach, (and a few more times during my visit) we always visit the local seafood market for fresh Gulf shrimp. It is always one of the highlights of a beach trip to me. And one of our very favorites to make on a beach vacation or an evening at home with friends just happens to be these tacos!
Here’s how I make them.
How to Make the Best Shrimp Tacos
With a few amazing ingredients and fresh, tender shrimp, it’s easy to make the best shrimp tacos with this recipe in about 15 minutes.
- tortillas – my family prefers soft flour tortillas, but you can use whatever you prefer.
- shrimp – grilled shrimp that’s been peeled and deveined. Use the freshest shrimp possible – I like to use wild-caught shrimp.
- avocado – medium to large size, pitted and cut into slices.
- cabbage – use your choice of shredded green or purple cabbage or combination. Bags of shredded cabbage can be used if you don’t want to shred it yourself.
- sriracha – you can use more or less, depending on amount of heat you like
- sour cream – blended with sriracha for a spicy cream sauce
- pico de gallo – made ahead and chilled in the refrigerator. Takes only minutes to make
- salt and pepper – to season to taste
- cilantro – fresh, chopped cilantro adds a delicious and fresh flavor
- lime – cut into wedges to juice tacos before eating
Step by Step Instructions
- Preheat. Heat the grill or grill pan to medium temperature to prepare to grill the shrimp.
- Assemble ingredients. Gather all ingredients and assemble a make-your-own taco buffet while the grill is heating.
- Mix sriracha cream sauce. Combine the sriracha and the sour cream and mix well for the cream sauce.
- Grill the shrimp – Brush the grill or griddle pan lightly with olive oil. Grill shrimp until it is pink and cooked well throughout, about 5 minutes. Remove grilled shrimp and transfer to a serving platter.
- Assemble tacos. Make shrimp tacos by layering desired ingredients and drizzling with sriracha cream sauce.
- Serve and garnish. Serve tacos with additional cilantro and lime wedges to juice over tacos before eating.
Since the shrimp only takes minutes to cook on the grill, I like to prep the other ingredients right before putting the shrimp on the grill. That way, as soon as the shrimp is ready, we can begin assembling our tacos.
I like to arrange a buffet of all of the ingredients so that everyone can build their own. That way, everyone gets exactly what they like on their shrimp taco. Someone in my family is allergic to avocados and I can’t get enough of them, so the buffet method works perfectly. It’s a great way to serve for entertaining too. However, you can easily assemble the tacos prior to serving as well if you wish.
What to Serve with Shrimp Tacos?
Cilantro Lime Rice is one of my favorite sides. Chips and salsa, as well as guacamole and queso are delicious. A house salad or grilled vegetable like grilled zucchini are great options too. And for dessert? Key Lime Pie or Coconut Cream Pie are some of our family favorites.
More Favorite Shrimp Recipes
Here’s my shrimp tacos recipe. I think you’ll love it.
Shrimp Tacos Recipe
- 6 medium tortillas soft or hard shell
- 2 pounds grilled shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 medium avocado cut into slices
- 2 cups cabbage shredded
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 cup sour cream
- pico de gallo
- salt and pepper to taste
- lime wedges optional
- Assemble all ingredients as a make-your-own shrimp taco buffet while the grill heats to medium heat for grilling the shrimp.
- Sriracha Cream Sauce – Mix together sriracha sauce and sour cream to make sriracha cream sauce.
- Grill Shrimp – Brush the grill with olive oil and cook the shrimp until it is pink and cooked well throughout, about 5 minutes. Remove from the grill and transfer to a platter.
- Make shrimp tacos by layering assembled ingredients desired into your shrimp taco.
- Serve with additional cilantro and an optional lime wedge to squeeze onto shrimp tacos as they are served.
From the Add a Pinch recipe archives. Originally published 2013.