This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This delicious Pico de Gallo is a fresh recipe of tomatoes, cilantro, peppers, lime juice and more that’s perfect atop chips and adds zesty flavor to many dishes!
Ready in minutes, yet so full of amazing flavor! This easy Pico de Gallo is a perfect partner to add a little zest to so many foods!
I love that within just a few minutes I can have this fresh Pico de Gallo whipped up and ready to eat! It’s perfect to add to all types of dishes from Beef Enchiladas to a plate of fluffy Scrambled Eggs, not to mention how addictively delicious it is on crisp tortilla chips. While it comes together in minutes, it can be made ahead as well so that it’s ready for a snack when you crave it!
Pico de Gallo Recipe
While this Pico de Gallo is just perfect on a chip, there are other dishes that it makes even more delicious! My family and I enjoy it on so many favorite dishes.
It’s delicious to put heaping spoons full of Pico on top of eggs in the morning and so good added to an avocado half with a bit of chicken for lunch. And so many supper dishes are enhanced by this zesty fresh pico too. Pico makes a scrumptious addition as a spicy topping for hamburgers, enchiladas as well as my fish tacos, shrimp tacos and easy beef tacos. The uses are endless!
How to Make the Best Pico
The secret to the best Pico de Gallo really involves making sure you use the best and freshest ingredients possible. The better the ingredients that you use, the better your Pico will be!
- Plum tomatoes
- Jalapeno peppers
- Fresh Cilantro
- Lime zest and juice
- Salt and Pepper
- Dice your plum tomatoes, jalapeños, and onion.
- Mince the garlic
- Chop or tear the cilantro leaves.
- Combine all of these ingredients by adding to a bowl
- Zest a lime (my secret ingredient!) and add to ingredients
- Juice a fresh lime and combine with other ingredients
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Stir gently to combine all the ingredients
- Serve immediately or place in airtight container and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Make Ahead Pico de Gallo
I think that Pico is best made and served fresh. And it is very quick and easy to make. But it is easily made ahead too. Just be certain to place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
Here’s my Pico de Gallo recipe. I hope you make some today and enjoy it with many dishes!
Pico de Gallo Recipe
- 5 medium plum tomatoes diced
- 2 medium jalapeno peppers deseeded and deveined, diced
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to a medium bowl and stir together until well-combined. Pour into serving bowl to serve with chips as an appetizer or to add as a topping to other ingredients.
Although Pico de Gallo is best made fresh, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 – 5 days.
From the Add a Pinch archives, originally published 2013.