This Best Hamburger recipe, two ingredients and a few time-tested tips are all you need to grill the best beef hamburgers every time!
If you’re a fan of juicy, flavorful burgers, then you’re in luck! My husband Bart makes the most delicious, juicy hamburger recipe that is a definite crowd favorite!
There are definitely no boring burgers here – even though my recipe has only two ingredients and is so simple to make. The secret to a perfect juicy hamburger lies in the beef used and following some simple, tested tips. And once you have your burger just right, you can customize your bun and toppings to include all of your favorites!
The Best Hamburger Recipe
Bart’s recipe makes the most tender and juicy hamburger that I have ever tasted! I love that they are so flavorful, require minimal ingredients, and make a burger that everyone that we serve them to always loves! They have become a tried and true favorite recipe in our family for sure!
Even though making them is so simple, it’s not the best idea to just throw your burger on the grill or in the skillet and hope for the best. We’ve all probably been there and done that at some point. Throughout the years, it seems like we’ve tested every kind of beef, every special press, and every technique.
Through all that testing, we’ve found that a few things are important for the best hamburgers every time.
For the best hamburgers, you’ll need just two ingredients. Then you can customize your burger to personalize it for your tastes!
The ratio of lean beef to fat makes all the difference in a juicy burger. We have found that we prefer a ground chuck that is an 80/20 blend. In other words, it is 80% lean and 20% fat. We like to get our ground beef from our local butcher that we trust for quality meat.
Ground chuck comes from the front side around the shoulder of the cow. It provides a good balance of fat content to flavor since it doesn’t contain as much fat as ground beef, while it does contain a little more than ground round or ground sirloin. It may also be labeled as lean ground beef, but double check by asking your butcher.
Stone House Seasoning
Stone House Seasoning. I’ve shared this delicious combination of garlic, salt and pepper previously. We keep it on hand to use in numerous recipes. If you don’t already have it on hand, combine 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic.
How to Prepare Hamburger Patties for the Juiciest Hamburgers
Once you have your hamburger meat, form it into individual patties that are at least 1/4 pound each. Make sure that when forming your patties that you take care to make sure that your patties are even in thickness.
How to Grill Burgers
Grilling can be so simple and makes such delicious grilled hamburgers. It is our favorite way to make them during warmer weather! For great grilled hamburgers, there are a few tips you’ll want to follow.
Preheat. Heat the grill to medium heat and lightly brush the grill with olive oil.
Cook. Place the hamburger patties onto the preheated grill and cook for 3 minutes on one side. Use a large metal spatula and flip the hamburger. Do not press the hamburgers while cooking. Cook until the hamburger registers 145º F with a meat thermometer.
Rest. Remove the cooked hamburgers from the grill, top with cheese (if using), and let the burgers rest for about 5 minutes before serving. While they are resting, this is a great time to add your buns and onions to the grill. Serve on a bun with your favorite toppings.
How to Cook Hamburgers on the Stove
You can also easily cook hamburgers on the stove! This makes delicious hamburgers that are juicy and so flavorful!
Prep. Lightly coat your cast iron skillet or grill pan with olive oil to prevent your burgers from sticking.
Cook. Place your hamburgers into the coated skillet and cook over medium heat on one side for 3 minutes.
Then, flip your hamburger onto the other side and cook until the internal temperature reaches 145º F when checked with an internal meat thermometer.
Rest. Remove hamburgers from the skillet and allow them to rest for 5 minutes before serving. This allows for the juiciest burgers! Serve on a bun with your favorite toppings.
How to Make Air Fryer Hamburgers
If you have an air fryer, then you will absolutely love making air fryer hamburgers! They are so incredibly juicy and tender! The number of hamburgers that you can prepare in an air fryer at a time will depend on the size of your air fryer.
Prep. Lightly spritz your air fryer basket or cooking surface with olive oil or cooking spray.
Cook. Place your hamburger patties onto the prepared cooking surface and cook for 5 minutes at 360º F. Flip and cook an additional 3 to 5 minutes until the hamburger reaches 145º F when checked with an internal meat thermometer.
Rest. Remove from the air fryer and top with cheese, if using. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving on a bun with your favorite toppings.
Some Favorite Hamburger Toppings
- Condiments – like mayo, ketchup, and mustard
- Onions – we like to grill the onions (and the buns) for the last few minutes of cooking before removing them from the grill. Grilling the onions helps to make them a bit sweeter. Vidalia or red onions are great too.
- Ripe tomato – sliced thinly
- Lettuce – Iceberg, Romaine or Butter lettuce for best crunch
- Sliced Mushrooms
- Pico de Gallo
- Pineapple slices
- Crispy bacon
- Pickle slices
There are many other tasty toppings to add to make your favorite burger!
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions
To make ahead. Cook and cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat and serve.
To freeze. Cook and cool completely. Store in a freezer-safe, airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight, reheat, and serve.
Favorite Hamburger Side Dishes
Here’s Bart’s Best Hamburger Recipe. I hope you love it every bit as much as we do!
Bart’s Best Hamburger Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck (80% lean)
- 1 teaspoon Stone House Seasoning
- olive oil or canola oil
- 4 hamburger buns
Optional Hamburger Toppings
- 4 slices cheese
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 slices butter lettuce
- 4 slices red onion
- 4-8 slices dill pickles
- Divide the ground chuck into 4 portions and form each into a hamburger patty. Use your thumb and make a depression in the center of the hamburger. Sprinkle both sides of the hamburger with Stone House Seasoning.
How to Grill Hamburgers
- Heat the grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Brush the grill with oil and then arrange the hamburgers on the grill and cook on the first side for about 3 minutes. Flip the burgers and cook until they reach your preferred level of doneness by inserting an instant-read meat thermometer into the center of the hamburger, but at least 145º F. Remove from the grill.
- Add the hamburger buns to the grill, interior side down, and grill for about 3 minutes.
Make Skillet Hamburgers
- Arrange hamburger patties in a skillet set over medium heat. Cook on the first side for 3 minutes. Flip the burgers and cook another 3 to 5 minutes until they reach your preferred level of doneness by inserting an instant-read meat thermometer into the center of the hamburger, but at least 145º F. Remove from the skillet.
Make Ary Fryer Hamburgers
- Place hamburger patties into the air fryer basket and cook at 360º F for 5 minutes. Flip the burgers and cook another 3 to 5 minutes until they reach your preferred level of doneness by inserting an instant-read meat thermometer into the center of the hamburger, but at least 145º F.
- Place each of the hamburgers onto a bun, add your favorite toppings and serve.
- Use Ground chuck that is 80/20 blend
- Season well with Stone House Seasoning.
- Form hamburgers of even thickness and size, about 1/4 pound each. Press thumb in center of each patty for indention for best juicy hamburgers.
- Cook until registers 145º F with internal meat thermometer. Do not press on burgers while cooking. Remove and allow to rest for 5 minutes for the juiciest hamburger.
- Top with all your favorite toppings!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Exactly what I need for upcoming BBQ parties this summer 😀 I found your Stone House Seasoning very useful and convenient, too! Oh, and thanks for dedicatedly testing all kinds of beef, Robyn! I appreciate it a lot! <3 <3
Hope you and friends love these burgers as much as we and our friends do! Don’t you just love the Stone House Seasoning? I keep a big jar full all the time. Thanks so much! xo
Great burgers and really good Stone House Seasoning- I especially liked the granulated garlic!
Thanks keep the recipes coming and hints.
Thanks, Pat. I’m so happy you like the burgers and the Stone House Seasoning. I’ll let Bart know you his recipe was a hit.
Best burgers EVER! I have never really liked/enjoyed our homemade burgers UNTIL NOW. My family rolled their eyes when I said we were having bbq burgers….but they were hooked after one bite! I had been looking at this seasoning blend for a LONG TIME wondering if I really need another jar to add to my spice drawer…IT IS THE BOMB! Totally made the burgers! So glad I tried it. No need to ever order a burger out again!
The Stone House Seasoning does make quite a difference, doesn’t it, Heidi? I’m so glad your family loved the burgers. xo
Where can I get the recipe for stone House seasoning
Tammy, just click on the underlined Stone House Seasoning listed in the ingredients list of the recipe. It will take you to the Stone House Seasoning recipe. Hope you enjoy.