A classic coleslaw recipe. Made of cabbage and topped with a delicious dressing, this coleslaw recipe is one you’ll use again and again.
Coleslaw has to be one of the most humble of recipes. It works perfectly with so many dishes as the side dish, but rarely gets the star treatment that it really deserves. This coleslaw recipe is one that my Mama has made for years and one that my family has always devoured! It always makes an appearance for picnics and BBQs to go with our grilled chicken, hotdogs, hamburgers, potato salad and so many other classic cookout fare.
And even though it is mighty delicious as soon as it is made, I truly believe that this coleslaw is even more delicious the next day for lunch with any leftovers we might have. That time in the refrigerator gives it a little bit more time to marinate in that coleslaw dressing that tastes so amazing.
Coleslaw Recipe Video
Here’s my family’s coleslaw recipe. Be sure to make it soon. I think you’ll absolutely love it!
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 medium carrots shredded
- 1/2 small sweet onion diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- Place shredded cabbage, carrots and onions into a medium size bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar, sugar, and salt to a large bowl and whisk together with a fork until well-combined and smooth. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Add black pepper and celery seeds. Pour mayonnaise dressing over cabbage and toss together to mix thoroughly.
- Serve immediately or cover and chill in refrigerator before serving.
Store coleslaw in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Vegan:
For a vegan version of this coleslaw recipe, use vegan mayonnaise and a plant-based milk.
From the Add a Pinch recipe archives. Originally published 2014.