Grilled Chicken Legs Recipe
There is just something about the simplicity of grilled chicken legs that I love.
Maybe it’s that chicken legs are just so simple and homey, comforting and delicious. It could be that I remember them being my favorite piece of chicken from my childhood or that they now are my son’s.
But, whatever the reason, I realize that I just don’t cook them nearly as often as I should.
I usually reserve this recipe for grilled chicken legs for the warmer months of spring and summer, but the other day before I headed out for the grocery store, my husband told me he would love to have these soon.
Well, you know that moved chicken legs to the top of my grocery list, don’t you? I was now on a mission to bring a little bit of a warm weather meal to our house.
The marinade is really what makes this grilled chicken so special.
Let me tell you about it.
You’ll grab a few spices that really kick up the smokey flavor of this grilled chicken and another that adds a little kick, too.
Cumin, paprika, cayenne, and salt and pepper.
This spice blend just works beautifully and is one that is great to have on hand, too.
The other special ingredient in this chicken marinade is beer.
Now, I have to admit something to you. I rarely cook with beer, but it absolutely adds something to this chicken.
Once I’ve mixed up my spices and beer, along with a few other ingredients, I just pour it over the chicken legs that have been placed in a large zip top bag.
Seal up the bag and turn from side to side to make sure all the chicken is well coated.
Then, I place it on a half sheet pan and into the refrigerator for at least an hour, but hopefully overnight so the chicken has plenty of time to soak up all that goodness.
Every few hours, I’ll turn the bag from one side over to the other to keep the chicken coated with the marinade.
Here’s my Grilled Chicken Legs Recipe. I hope you love it as much as we do!
- 12 chicken legs
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1½ cups beer
- Place chicken legs into a large zip top bag.
- Pour olive oil into a 2-cup liquid measuring cup.
- Mix together salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, and cayenne pepper and add to olive oil. Add garlic, onions, and parsley. Mix together well with a fork. Slowly add beer as it will cause the mixture to foam and bubble slightly.
- Pour marinade over the chicken legs in the zip top bag. Remove as much air as possible from the bag and seal. Turn the bag from side to side to make sure all chicken has been coated with the marinade.
- Place the bag flat on a small, rimmed kitchen sheet pan and into the refrigerator. Allow to sit up to 1 hour or overnight for best results, turning the bag over every few hours to keep the chicken coated.
- To Grill:
- Brush the grill grate with olive oil to coat. Heat the grill to about 350º F. Place chicken onto the grill and cook, turning as needed to cook both sides, until the internal temperature registers 165º F when checked with an instant read thermometer.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter and allow to rest 3-5 minutes before serving.