Cashew Chicken Recipe
This Cashew Chicken recipe makes a favorite quick and easy recipe perfect for busy weeknights! Ready and on the table faster than takeout!
Cashew chicken was always one dish I turned to when I saw it on the menu, but now that I realize I’m sensitive to MSG and preservatives, it is one of those recipes that I just knew I had to make at home so that my whole family could enjoy it.
As I remade the recipe, I was determined that it had to be one that I could make on the busiest of weeknights, that it tasted just as delicious (if not more so) than the restaurant version, and that it had to be easy! Mission accomplished!
To make it, I start by cutting my boneless, skinless chicken breasts into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Toss the chicken in cornstarch or arrowroot powder until it is well coated and set aside while you heat your oil of choice in your skillet. You can use coconut oil, butter, or olive oil.
Then, add your chicken pieces to the heated skillet and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
While you chicken is cooking, stir together the sauce for the cashew chicken. It includes soy sauce or coconut aminos, rice wine vinegar, tomato paste, honey, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes.
Pour it into the skillet along with the chicken.
And then add in your raw cashews. Stir them in and then cook for just a few more minutes until the cashews are heated throughout, but still have a definite crunch.
For a little color and additional depth of flavor, I like to also include green onions.
The really make it scrumptious, I think.
Here’s my Cashew Chicken Recipe. I hope you love it!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1½ inch pieces
- ¼ cup cornstarch or arrowroot powder, optional
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, butter, or olive oil
- ½ cup soy sauce or coconut aminos
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons grated fresh ginger or 1½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1½ cups raw cashews
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup chopped green onions, optional
- Add chicken pieces and cornstarch or arrowroot powder, if using, to a medium bowl and toss gently with a fork to make sure chicken is well coated.
- Melt coconut oil or butter in a medium skillet set over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together soy sauce or coconut aminos, rice wine vinegar, tomato paste, honey, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Pour sauce over chicken and stir in cashews until well combined. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken has cooked through and the sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes.Stir in black pepper and green onions.
- Remove skillet from heat and serve over rice, zucchini noodles, broccoli and top with additional chopped green onions, if desired.