This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Learn how to cook white rice using this easy, no-fail recipe! Perfect every time for using with short, long grain, jasmine or basmati white rice!
In high school, my Mom wanted to make sure that I knew how to cook the essentials before I left the nest and was out on my own at college. Along with biscuits, oven baked chicken, and roasted vegetables, another one of the essentials that she taught me was how to cook white rice. While it sounds simple enough, there are a few tips and tricks that she shared with me then that makes the best white rice I’ve ever tasted and makes it fail-proof every time.
The Best White Rice Recipe
To make the best white rice, you’ll need only four ingredients. You’ll need:
- water, chicken broth or stock or vegetable stock – you can use your choice of water, chicken broth or stock, or vegetable stock in this recipe. If I am making to serve with chicken, I try to make it with chicken broth. It adds so much flavor to the rice.
- white rice – this recipe works for short-grain, long-grain, basmati or jasmine
- butter – while the butter is optional, it does add flavor to the rice.
- salt – the salt is also optional, but adds so much flavor.
Ratio of White Rice to Liquid
A handy tip that she taught me when I learned how to cook white rice, was to use the following ratio:
1 cup white rice : 2 cups liquid
To make your rice, you’ll begin by rinsing your uncooked rice. Rinse the rice in a colander with cold water until the water runs clear. This helps the rice from being clumpy or sticking together as it cooks and makes for the fluffiest rice!
As you rinse the rice, bring your liquid of choice (water, broth or stock) to a boil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Stir in butter, salt and rice. Place the lid onto your pot, reduce the heat to medium low and cook without disturbing for 20 minutes.
Then, remove from the heat, remove the lid and lightly fluff the rice with a fork and serve!
Make Ahead Instructions
How to Freeze Rice
Allow the cooked rice to cool completely and then store in the freezer for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe container.
How to Store Rice
Allow the rice to cool completely and then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Here’s Mama’s White Rice recipe. I hope you love it as much as we do!
How to Cook White Rice Recipe
- 4 cups water chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 cups white rice short-grain, long-grain, basmati, or jasmine
- 2 tablespoons butter optional
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Rinse rice until the water runs clear. Add water chicken broth, or vegetable stock to a large saucepan or Dutch oven set over medium heat. Stir in salt and add butter, if using. Bring to a rolling boil and stir in the rice.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid and reduce the heat to medium-low and cook without disturbing or removing the lid for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, remove the lid and lightly fluff with a fork and serve.