This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Classic Chili recipe is one that everyone needs in the recipe box. Made with just six ingredients and ready in 30 minutes this makes the best chili!
Chili is one of those recipes that we all need a dependable, easy, and fool-proof recipe to turn to time and again. Once we have a classic recipe, we can add to or adjust to make it our own by adding a little more of this, a few more optional ingredients, or serving in a special way. But, we all need a recipe that is delicious and ready in minutes rather than hours! This is it!
How to Make the Best Chili
For my classic chili recipe, you’ll need just six ingredients. I’ve included some optional ingredient ideas you may also enjoy.
- Ground Beef – I love to use a lean ground beef, ground turkey or even ground chicken. You can even omit the meat and double the amount of beans if you prefer a vegetarian or vegan chili.
- Beans – You can use your preferred bean such as black beans, pinto beans, or kidney beans. I prefer to drain and rinse my canned beans before adding them to the recipe.
- Tomatoes – I use crushed tomatoes to make my recipe even easier.
- Seasonings – The basic seasonings I include are: Stone House Seasoning, chili powder, and ground cumin. This chili recipe is rather mild, but you can easily adjust the spiciness of the recipe by using more chili powder than called for in the recipe.
- Optional Ingredients – diced onions, diced green peppers, diced jalapeño, diced carrots, cubed pumpkin, cubed sweet potatoes, cubed butternut squash, mushrooms.
Step by Step Instructions
- Brown the ground beef, turkey or chicken in a Dutch oven or large soup pot. Stir in the remaining ingredients of the beans, crushed tomatoes, Stone House Seasoning, chili powder and ground cumin.
- Allow to simmer until heated throughout and then serve with your favorite toppings.
How to Make Vegetarian Chili
To make this recipe as a vegetarian chili recipe, simply omit the meat and double the beans called for in the recipe. This would be a great time to use multiple types of beans such as black beans and pinto beans and / or red kidney beans in your recipe. You may also want to consider adding additional vegetables listed in the optional ingredients. Serve with your favorite toppings!
How to Make Vegan Chili
To make this a vegan chili recipe, see the notes above to make it a vegetarian chili and then be sure to serve it with dairy-free and vegan-friendly toppings.
What to Serve with Chili
How to Store
Allow the chili to cool to room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To serve, simply reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave until heated throughout.
How to Freeze
All the chili to cool completely. Transfer to a freezer-friendly container or freezer zip top storage bags. Freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave until heated throughout.
More Chili Recipes You May Love
Here’s my Best Chili Recipe. I hope you love it as much as my family does!
The Best Chili Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef (lean) ground turkey or ground chicken
- 2 (16-ounce) cans beans (black beans, pinto beans, red kidney beans) drained and rinsed
- 1 (16-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Stone House Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese grated
- jalapeno pepper sliced
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1 large green pepper deseeded and diced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper deseeded and diced
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- Brown ground meat in a Dutch oven or soup pot set over medium heat. Add seasonings, tomatoes and beans. Simmer until heated throughout.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.
Omit the meat and double the beans called for in the recipe. Vegan Chili Variation:
Omit the meat, double the beans and serve with dairy-free toppings. Consider including additional ingredients including cubed sweet potato, peppers, mushrooms, etc.