This Homemade Lasagna is an easy, classic family favorite recipe! Delicious meaty sauce layered with cheese filling and tender pasta makes this the best lasagna recipe!
When you want a lasagna recipe that is not only delicious but easy enough to make on a weeknight, this classic, easy recipe makes the best lasagna! It’s a family favorite meal, along with other easy ground beef recipes – such as my Classic Chili, Spaghetti Sauce, Baked Ziti, and Stuffed Peppers.
Lasagna is one of my family’s favorite meals. They love this recipe so much that I keep it in regular rotation! While there are a few steps to make it, they are simple to do and result in the most flavorful, best lasagna! It’s so worth it!
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe
Easy recipe. Each step of the recipe is easy, uses simple ingredients, and every bite has so much flavor.
Meal prep favorite. This lasagna can easily be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator. It also freezes beautifully, making it a meal prep favorite!
Family friendly. The recipe, as written, can be adjusted based on your family’s preferences! Vegetarian – omit the meat and use mushrooms, etc.
Delicious lasagna starts with a great recipe and ingredients. Here are the ingredients and steps used to make it.
Be sure to see the recipe card below for the full listing of ingredients, instructions, notes, and estimated nutritional information.
Meat Sauce – I use ground beef and Italian sausage, along with either my homemade pasta sauce or a favorite store-bought one, along with my Stone House Seasoning, basil, oregano, and a bit of tomato paste.
Cheese Filling – My filling uses traditional Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses, along with cream cheese, Greek yogurt, and an egg with freshly chopped parsley as an option. It’s creamy, cheesy, and absolutely delectable!
If you need to make certain ingredient swaps, see the Key Ingredient Substitutions section that I have provided, along with several Lasagna Variations to follow.
How to Make the Best Lasagna Recipe
To make lasagna, you’ll follow just a few easy steps. I’ve included the step-by-step instructions below.
Make the Meat Sauce. Cook the meat in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain the meat well. Stir in the Stone House Seasoning, basil, oregano, pasta sauce, and tomato paste. Simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 5 to 10 minutes.
Make the Cheese Filling. Lightly beat the egg in a mixing bowl. Add the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and parsley (optional). Stir to combine well.
Layer the Lasagna. Layer the meat sauce, noodles, and cheese filling into a 9×13 baking dish. Repeat twice. Top with the remaining 3 lasagna noodles and the remaining Meat Sauce.
Bake. Cover lightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and top with the remaining Mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered until browned, about 15 minutes. Rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving. I like to serve this with a big house salad.
layer 1: meat sauce + noodles + cheese filling
layer 2: meat sauce + noodles + cheese filling
layer 3: meat sauce + noodles + cheese filling
layer 4: noodles + meat sauce
[cover and bake]
layer 5: cheese topping
[bake, rest, serve]add a pinch best lasagna recipe
Key Ingredient Substitutions
Meat Sauce – This recipe uses a blend of two types of meat: ground beef and ground sausage. This makes for a more flavorful meat sauce. However, you can use all ground beef if you prefer. You can also substitute ground turkey and ground chicken or omit the meat altogether.
Along with the meat, the meat sauce uses pasta sauce, tomato paste, and seasonings. You can use homemade pasta sauce or your favorite store-bought. I’ve included in the recipe card notes information for making your own homemade pasta sauce, if you prefer.
Cheese Filling – I use cream cheese, Greek yogurt, Parmesan cheese, and an egg for my cheese filling. It makes for a creamy, delicious, cheesy layer.
No cream cheese or Greek yogurt? You can substitute 1 (15-ounce) container of Ricotta cheese or Cottage cheese for the cream cheese and Greek yogurt.
For an egg-free lasagna, I recommend simply omitting the egg. Due to a family member having an egg sensitivity, I’ve made this recipe egg-free many times with great success.
Delicious Lasagna Variations
Meatless Lasagna Recipe
Omit the meat altogether in this recipe and proceed with the directions as written.
Mushroom Lasagna Recipe
For a hearty, meatless lasagna, use sliced mushrooms in place of the ground beef and sausage listed in the recipe.
Spinach Lasagna Recipe
Thaw and drain frozen spinach. Squeeze to remove as much moisture as possible. Add the spinach to the cheese filling. Proceed with the recipe as written.
To make ahead. Prepare Lasagna without baking or topping with the final layer of cheese. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Add about 15 minutes to baking time.
To freeze. For the best results, freeze the lasagna unbaked and without topping it with the final layer of cheese. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Then, bake as directed. Additional baking time may be required when baking from cold, about 15 minutes.
More Family Meal Favorites
If you tried this Lasagna or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the comments below. Thanks for visiting!
The Best Lasagna Recipe
- 1 pound lasagna noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded and divided
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Prep. Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. Cook and drain the lasagna noodles. Set aside.
- Make the Meat Sauce. Cook ground beef and Italian sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain the meat well. Stir in the Stone House Seasoning, basil, oregano, pasta sauce and tomato paste. Simmer until sauce has thickened, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Make the Cheese Mixture. Lightly beat the egg in a large mixing bowl. Add the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and parsley (optional). Stir to combine well.
- Layer the Lasagna. Ladle 1 cup Meat Sauce into the prepared 9×13 baking dish. Top with a layer of the lasagna noodles. Spread 1/3 of the Cheese Mixture over the noodles and top with 1 cup of Meat Sauce. Repeat twice. Top with another layer of lasagna noodles and the remaining Meat Sauce.
- Bake the Lasagna. Cover lightly with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Top with Cheese and Serve. Remove foil and top with remaining 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered until browned, about 15 minutes. Rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.