This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Homemade Lasagna is a classic recipe that every cook needs in their recipe box. Tender layers of pasta, a cheese filling, and a flavorful meaty tomato sauce make a family favorite recipe.
Why We Love This Recipe
Easy recipe. Each step of the recipe is easy, uses simple ingredients, and every bite has so much flavor.
Meal prep favorite. This lasagna can easily be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator. It also freezes beautifully making it a meal prep favorite!
Family friendly. The recipe as written can be adjusted based on your family’s preferences! Vegetarian – omit the meat and use mushrooms, etc..
How to Make the Best Lasagna Recipe
To make lasagna, you’ll follow just a few easy steps. I’ve included the step-by-step instructions below.
Make the Meat Sauce. Cook the meat in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain the meat well. Stir in the Stone House Seasoning, basil, oregano, pasta sauce and tomato paste. Simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 5 to 10 minutes.
Make the Cheese Filling. Lightly beat the egg in a mixing bowl. Add the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, and parsley (optional). Stir to combine well.
Layer the Lasagna. Layer the meat sauce, noodles, then cheese filling into 9×13 baking dish. Repeat twice. Top with remaining 3 lasagna noodles and the remaining Meat Sauce.
Bake. Cover lightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and top with remaining Mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered until browned, about 15 minutes. Rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
layer 1: meat sauce + noodles + cheese filling
layer 2: meat sauce + noodles + cheese filling
layer 3: meat sauce + noodles + cheese filling
layer 4: noodles + meat sauce
[cover and bake]
layer 5: cheese topping
[bake, rest, serve]add a pinch best lasagna recipe
Key Ingredient Substitutions
Meat Sauce – This recipe uses a blend of two meats: ground beef and ground sausage. This makes for a more flavorful meat sauce. However, you can use all ground beef if you prefer. You can also substitute ground turkey, ground chicken, or omit the meat altogether.
Along with the meat, the meat sauce uses pasta sauce, tomato paste and seasonings. You can use homemade pasta sauce or your favorite store-bought. I’ve included in the recipe card notes information for making your own homemade pasta sauce, if you prefer.
Cheese Filling – I use cream cheese, Greek yogurt, Parmesan cheese and an egg for my cheese filling. It makes for a creamy, delicious cheesy layer.
No cream cheese or Greek yogurt? You can substitute 1 (15-ounce) container of Ricotta cheese or Cottage cheese for the cream cheese and Greek yogurt.
For an egg-free lasagna, I recommend simply omitting the egg. Due to a family member having an egg sensitivity, I’ve made this recipe egg free many times with great success.
Delicious Lasagna Variations
Meatless Lasagna Recipe
Omit the meat altogether in this recipe and proceed with the directions as written.
Mushroom Lasagna Recipe
For a hearty, meatless lasagna use sliced mushrooms in place of the ground beef and sausage listed in the recipe.
Spinach Lasagna Recipe
Thaw and drain frozen spinach. Squeeze to remove as much moisture as possible. Add the spinach to the cheese filling. Proceed with the recipe as written.
Make Ahead and Freezer Instructions
Make Ahead Homemade Lasagna
Prepare Lasagna without baking or topping with the final layer of cheese. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Add about 15 minutes to baking time.
How to Freeze Homemade Lasagna
For the best results, freeze the lasagna unbaked and without the topping of the final layer of cheese. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Then bake as directed. Additional baking time may be required when baking from cold, about 15 minutes.
Here’s my homemade Lasagna recipe. I love to serve it with a big house salad! I hope you love it as much as we do!
The Best Lasagna Recipe
- 1 pound lasagna noodles cooked according to package directions
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese softened
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese shredded and divided
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese shredded and divided
- 1 bunch fresh parsley chopped (optional)
- Prep. Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. Cook and drain the lasagna noodles. Set aside.
- Make the Meat Sauce. Cook ground beef and Italian sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain the meat well. Stir in the Stone House Seasoning, basil, oregano, pasta sauce and tomato paste. Simmer until sauce has thickened, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Make the Cheese Mixture. Lightly beat the egg in a large mixing bowl. Add the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, and parsley (optional). Stir to combine well.
- Layer the Lasagna. Ladle 1 cup Meat Sauce into the prepared 9×13 baking dish. Top with a layer of the lasagna noodles. Spread ⅓ of the Cheese Mixture over the noodles and top with 1 cup of Meat Sauce. Repeat twice. Top with another layer of lasagna noodles and the remaining Meat Sauce.
- Bake the Lasagna. Cover lightly with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Top with Cheese and Serve. Remove foil and top with remaining 2 ½ cups Mozzarella cheese, ¼ cup Parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered until browned, about 15 minutes. Rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.