Classic Buttery Spritz Cookies make an easy delicious buttery cookie that comes together quickly! Perfect for special occasions and holidays, these spritz cookies are a favorite!
These classic buttery cookies make for a favorite on our cookie tray throughout the year, but especially during Christmas!
The spritz cookie dough comes together very, very quickly and is so easy to work with, I think. Traditionally made with a cookie press, you can make spritz cookies in any shape available for your cookie press. You’ll follow the directions for your cookie press to load the dough and then, press cookies onto a rimmed baking sheet, leaving about 1 1/2 – 2 inches between each cookie. They bake in about 6 to 8 minutes and you’ll want to remove them from the oven just before they turn golden brown. The cookies are tender, buttery and absolutely scrumptious!
I originally shared this recipe as an egg-free version that my family loves. However, a few were having issues with their cookie dough not holding shape as it should be for the cookie press. I’ve updated the recipe to include an egg.
While they are amazing without any adornment, they look even more festive with a little bit of sugar sprinkles to add a bit of flair. Many times, I just sprinkle mine with colored sugar sprinkles, but I absolutely love to use the cookie glaze topped with sprinkles to make them even more special! They make a great gift to give friends, family and neighbors during the holidays!
Here’s my Classic Buttery Spritz Cookies recipe. I hope you love them as much as we do!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1¼ cups confectioner sugar
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk or half and half
- sugar sprinkles, for decoration
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Mix together butter and confectioner's sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add in egg, salt, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Gradually incorporate flour until well combined, taking care not to overmix.
- Place in a cookie press fitted with your choice of disc. Press cookies through cookie press onto baking sheet, leaving about 1½ - 2 inches between each cookie. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes and then remove from the oven to cool completely.
- Arrange a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Whisk together confectioner's sugar and milk until well combined and smooth in a small bowl. Once cookies are cooled, dip each cookie into the glaze and place on the wire rack. Sprinkle with sugar sprinkles as desired and allow to dry completely.