This Cut Out Sugar Cookie Recipe has been in my family for years and years. It is one of those cookie recipes that we pull out each year to make Christmas cookies for decorating.
Through the years, we’ve tried a few variations off my family’s sugar cookie recipe and especially with the decorations. Mama would make a quick sugar cookie icing and we’d add all sorts of little candies to the cookies for decoration. Some years, those cookies turned out a lot cuter than others, but they were always delicious!
Cut-Out Sugar Cookie Recipe
When Sam was young, I, like my Mama did when I was growing up, pull out the canister of cookie cutters and turn all of the shape selection over to Sam. Sometimes we end up with all snowmen, and then other years, we have a great mixture of all sorts of shapes to bake and decorate. We had fun no matter what shapes we cut out of this delicious rolled sugar cookie dough!
How to Make Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
First, line your baking sheet pans with parchment paper or baking mats.
Next, cream together butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in eggs, one at a time, and mix into butter mixture. Then add vanilla.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Slowly incorporate flour into the butter and sugar mixture, making sure to mix well as combined, taking care not to mix too much as it causes tough cookies.
Dust your countertop area lightly with confectioner’s sugar for rolling sugar cookie dough.
Divide the sugar cookie dough in half and roll to desired thickness.
Cut sugar cookies with preferred cookie cutters, working dough back together and rolling and cutting until all dough has been used and all the sugar cookies are placed onto prepared baking sheets.
Place the baking sheets full of cut-out sugar cookies into the freezer for 15 minutes to prevent the dough from spreading as much while baking.
Preheat oven to 350º F while sugar cookie dough is in the freezer.
Transfer baking sheets straight from the freezer to the oven for baking. Bake cookies until lightly golden brown, about 12 minutes.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before decorating, if desired.
While the sugar cookies are cooling, I mix up the same cookie icing that my Mama always made and then we have a blast decorating them.
While we’ve always loved making these as part of our baking for Christmas cookies, it’s really a great sugar cookie recipe to use whenever you’d like to make sugar cookies for decorating or just enjoying.
Make Ahead Cut-Out Sugar Cookies Recipe
These cookies are excellent to make ahead, especially throughout the holidays. Simply prepare the cookies as instructed, allow any decorative frosting to dry completely, and then store in parchment-lined layers within an airtight container for up to a week.
If you’d like to make them more in advance, use the Freezer Friendly instructions below.
How to Freeze Cut-Out Sugar Cookies Recipe
There are a few ways to make these delicious cookies ahead of time to freeze them.
Freeze the Baked Cookies:
To freeze the baked cookies, cool the cookies completely and then freeze on the baking sheet. When the cookies have frozen solid, about 30 minutes. Store the cookies in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, allow the cookies to reach room temperature and then decorate as you’d like.
Freeze the Cookie Dough:
To freeze the cookie dough, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then store the dough in a zip top freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, allow the cookie dough to thaw in the refrigerator, then roll the dough as instructed throughout all the baking and decorating instructions.
Here’s my family’s cut-out sugar cookie recipe. I hope your family loves it as much as mine does! You might also like to try my Chewy Sugar Cookie Recipe. Between the two, you’ll be in sugar cookie bliss!
Cut Out Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- confectioner’s sugar for rolling
- Line baking sheet pans with parchment paper or baking mats.
- Cream together the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in the eggs, one at a time, fully incorporating after each addition. Then, add in the vanilla extract.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and the salt in a large bowl. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture into the butter and sugar mixture, making sure to mix well as combining and taking care not to over mix as it causes tough cookies.
- Dust countertop area lightly for rolling sugar cookie dough using confectioner’s sugar. Divide the sugar cookie dough in half and roll to desired thickness. Cut sugar cookies with preferred cookie cutters, working dough back together and rolling and cutting until all dough has been use and placed onto prepared baking sheets.
- Place your baking sheets into the freezer for 15 minutes to prevent the dough from spreading as much while baking.
- Preheat the oven to 350º F as your sugar dough is in the freezer. Transfer baking sheets straight from the freezer to the oven for baking. Bake cookies until lightly golden brown, about 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before decorating, if desired.
From the Add a Pinch recipe archives. Originally published 2013.