This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Black Bean Chili Recipe is perfect for an easy weeknight supper. This best chili recipe is full of delicious ingredients and on table in 30 minutes!
This Black Bean Chili is perfect for a weeknight supper. This is one of the best chili recipes and such a favorite because it’s so hearty – and so easy! And it doesn’t have to simmer all day long for it to be delicious! Serve with cornbread and your favorite toppings!
I don’t know about you, but that’s my kind of meal – especially when I’m in a rush during the week!
Don’t get me wrong, I love a slow cook chili that simmers and bubbles on the stove for the afternoon and slow cooker chili is absolutely a favorite.
But, let’s be real.
There are many days that our clock strikes 4 o’clock and I haven’t started anything for supper. These are the days that I love to pull out a recipe like this without missing a beat in flavor and taste. These are just the days for this easy chili recipe!
Weeknight Black Bean Chili Recipe
It’s just a smart idea to have a good chili recipe like this one in your arsenal for such nights. Here’s how I make it.
Ingredients for the Best Chili
For this recipe, you’ll need:
- Bacon – I love the additional flavor the bacon gives this chili recipe. If you prefer, you can use 1 tablespoon of olive oil in omit the bacon. The bacon drippings (or olive oil) is used to sauté the onion and garlic to flavor the chili.
- Onion – You will want to dice your onion to add to the stock pot. As it sautes, it will release incredible flavor!
- Garlic – I like to chop my garlic for this recipe, but you can use a garlic press as well.
- Ground Beef – I prefer to use a lean ground beef for this recipe so that I do not have to drain away and drippings from the ground beef and lose all the flavor that has built up in my stock pot!
- Worcestershire Sauce – You can also use Coconut Aminos in place of Worcestershire sauce if you prefer.
- Seasonings – I use classic chili seasonings of ground Cumin, Chili Powder, and Oregano.
- Crushed Tomatoes – They are the perfect consistency for this hearty chili recipe!
- Black Beans – I love to drain and rinse my black beans before I add them to my chili. They add so much additional protein and fiber to this chili recipe!
- Your Favorite Toppings – This is where you totally make it your own! Add sour cream, grated cheese, jalapeños, you name it!
How to Make Weeknight Black Bean Chili
Saute. Add diced bacon (or olive oil, if you prefer) to a heavy bottomed stock pot over medium heat. Cook until crispy, then add onions and garlic and cook until tender. Add ground beef to brown and cook until done.
Season. Add seasonings, tomatoes, and black beans. Reduce to a simmer and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Serve. Serve the cooked chili topped with sour cream and shredded cheese if you desire. I love this chili with some tortilla chips or my Southern Buttermilk Cornbread on the side. Delicious!
How to Store Black Bean Chili
Allow chili to cool completely. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Rewarm in a saucepan over medium heat or in the microwave.
Can You Freeze Chili?
I love that about this recipe. Allow the chili to cool completely, then store in airtight, freezer-safe container(s). Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. To rewarm, allow to thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then rewarm in a saucepan over medium heat or in the microwave.
Leftover Makeover Ideas
Frito Chili Pie – Use leftover chili to make this favorite chili pie!
Walking Tacos – Open individual bags of Fritos, add warmed chili, and add sour cream and cheese. Perfect for tailgating, halloween, and get togethers (or just a fun family meal!)
Stuffed Potatoes – Baked potatoes or sweet potatoes, split open and then top them with this delicious chili. Allow everyone to add their favorite toppings!
Here’s my recipe for Weeknight Black Bean Chili. It’s a keeper!
Weeknight Black Bean Chili Recipe
- 3 slices bacon diced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce or Coconut Aminos
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (16-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (16-ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed
- sour cream
- grated cheddar cheese
- Saute. Add diced bacon (or olive oil) to a heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium heat. Cook until crispy, then add in onions and garlic and cook until tender. Add ground beef and cook until done.
- Season. Add seasonings, tomatoes and black beans. Reduce to a simmer and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Serve. Serve with sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, or your favorite toppings, if desired.
From the Add a Pinch recipe archives. Originally published 2012.