This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These cornbread muffins are quick, easy, tender and delicious! Lightly sweetened with honey, they are a favorite with soups, chili, stews, BBQ and more!
Cornbread makes the best side to go along with so many dishes, especially some of our Southern favorites like BBQ, Brunswick stew, vegetable soup, chili, and so much more. These tender cornbread muffins are lightly sweetened with honey and are perfectly balanced so that they are too sweet to serve with a variety of meals. They always seem to be the first thing to disappear when I serve them. 😉
How to Make the Best Cornbread Muffins
To make these cornbread muffins, you’ll just need six ingredients. These ingredients are staples in my house which makes this a simple, quick recipe to mix together for busy weeknights and weekends.
Cornbread Muffin Ingredients
Be sure to refer to the full recipe below.
- Cornmeal – Made from ground yellow or white corn ranging in texture from finely ground to coarse. I prefer to use a stone ground cornmeal as I believe it is the perfect texture in recipes.
- Self-rising Flour – If you do not have self-rising flour on hand, you can easily make your own in just a few minutes. [Resource: How to Make Self-Rising Flour]
- Buttermilk – Likewise, if you do not have buttermilk on hand, you can easily make your own. [Resource: How to Make Buttermilk Substitute] You can also substitute with your favorite milk – whole, low-fat, oat milk, or another plant-based milk.
- Honey – I believe this recipe is perfectly balanced and lightly sweetened to go with numerous dishes. If you would like it less sweet, reduce or omit the honey. Like it a little sweeter? Simply increase the honey to your preference. If vegan, you can substitute with maple syrup or sugar.
- Butter – The melted butter adds so much flavor to these muffins. If vegan, substitute with your favorite plant-butter.
- Eggs – The ratio between the eggs and the flour helps these cornbread muffins to rise beautifully. If you are vegan, use your favorite egg substitute suitable for baking.
Step by Step Directions
Prep. Preheat the oven to 425º F. Line muffin pan with paper liners, spray with baking spray, or lightly grease with vegetable oil. Set aside you are prepare the cornbread muffin batter.
Prepare the batter. Whisk together the dry ingredients, cornmeal and self-rising flour, in a large mixing bowl. Whisk together the wet ingredients, buttermilk, honey, melted butter, and eggs, until smooth in a 2-cup measuring cup or another bowl. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.
Bake. Evenly distribute the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling each ¾ full. Bake until the cornbread muffins have risen and the center springs to the touch, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
Serve. Serve warm. They are delicious with a smear of butter and drizzle of honey!
Other Favorite Quick and Easy Bread Recipes
Here’s my favorite cornbread muffins recipe. I hope you love them as much as we do!
Cornbread Muffins Recipe
- Prep. Preheat oven to 425º F. Line muffin pan with paper liners, spray with baking spray or lightly grease with vegetable oil. Set aside.
- Whisk together dry ingredients. Whisk together the cornmeal and self-rising flour in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk together wet ingredients. Add the buttermilk, honey, butter and eggs to a 2-cup measuring cup or another mixing bowl. Whisk together until the egg is well combined.
- Combine and Bake. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Spoon the cornbread muffin mixture evenly into the prepared muffin pan, until each is filled 3/4. Bake until the cornbread muffins have risen and the center springs to the touch, about 15 – 20.
- Serve. Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for a few moments and then run a knife around the edge of the muffin to release them from the pan, if needed. Serve warm.
If you would like your cornbread muffins less sweet, reduce or omit the honey. If you would like it sweeter, simply increase the honey to your preference. If vegan, you can substitute with maple syrup or sugar. Vegan Cornbread Muffins:
To make these muffin vegan-friendly, use maple syrup instead of honey, use your favorite plant-based milk and butter, as well as your favorite baking-friendly egg substitute.