This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
How to Make Oat Milk Recipe – This easy oat milk recipe is an easy, creamy, dairy-free, and vegan solution to enjoy with your coffee and more!
I love learning ways to make recipes that meet special dietary needs or personal preferences for dishes. This homemade oat milk recipe is one of the ones that I tried and tried and tried over the past few months so that I could replicate those delicious Starbuck’s coffees with oat milk! 🙂
Let me just tell you friends, this creamy, rich, dairy-free oat milk adds so much flavor to your coffee, cereal, overnight oats, and really any dish!
How to Make Homemade Oat Milk Recipe
There are just a few basic ingredients for this oat milk.
The only required ingredients are oats and water, but you can also add flavor to your oat milk by including vanilla extract and a pinch of kosher or sea salt.
If you like your oat milk on the sweeter side, you can also sweeten with maple syrup. It makes for a delicious oat milk creamer in the mornings!
How to Make Oat Milk Recipe
To make the homemade oat milk, you begin by adding your oats to a large bowl and then covering them with clean water. I like to let my oats soak for 15 minutes.
Once the oats have soaked, I then pour the soaked oats through a sieve (or strainer) and rinse them repeatedly, but at least 3 times. You want to make sure that your oats are well rinsed so that the consistency of the oat milk is perfect.
Next, you add your rinsed oats to a blender. Add your three cups of clear water to the soaked oats and any of the optional add-ins that you’d like to include such as vanilla extract, salt, and/ or maple syrup. If you are planning to use your oat milk in both sweet and savory dishes, then I would recommend not including the vanilla extract and maple syrup at this point so that you can use in a wider variety of dishes.
Blend your soaked oats and water until smooth, about 1 minute in a high-speed blender. Then, pour the blended oats and water through a sieve to strain away any oat bits. I generally recommend straining about 2-3 times to make sure that your oat milk is as smooth as possible.
If you are using your oat milk in coffee as a creamer, you should be at the perfect consistency. If you’d like it thinner, add up to another cup of clear water to your oat milk.
Pour your oat milk into a container with a tight fitting lid and store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
As you begin to use your oat milk, shake it well before using and then use as you would any other milk called for in a recipe. Realize that the oat milk does have a distinct oat flavor and try to use it in recipes that you know it would taste delicious.
Here’s my Homemade Oat Milk Recipe. I hope you enjoy it!
Homemade Oat Milk Recipe
- 1 cup rolled oats
- water enough to cover the oats
For the Oat Milk
- 3 cups water
Optional Add Ins for Oat Milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- 1 pinch salt optional
- Add oats to a large bowl and cover with water. Allow to soak for 15 minutes.
- Pour the soaked oats through a sieve and rinse repeatedly, at least three times.
- Put the rinsed oats, optional vanilla, optional salt and optional maple syrup into a blender.
- Cover with around 3 cups water then blend until it smooth, about 1 minute with a high-speed blender.
- Pour through a strainer into a large pitcher. Discard the small pieces of oats left in the strainer. Repeat until the oat milk is smooth, about 2 more times.
- Pour the oat milk into a container with a tight fitting lid, such as a Mason jar. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week. Shake well before use.