This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Homemade Hot Cocoa is so quick and easy to make! Made with just 3 simple ingredients, then stir into warmed milk, a cup of coffee, or hot water for a quick and easy hot cocoa!
Hot cocoa has always been one of my favorite things! Rich and creamy, sweet and simple it is one of my favorite indulgences – especially during cooler months when all I want are cozy things.
Making homemade cocoa is really one of the simplest things to make too! With three ingredients you most likely keep on hand in your pantry, you can make your own hot cocoa mix to keep on hand for a quick and easy cup of hot cocoa or make a batch of the mix to share with friends for a thoughtful homemade gift!
This recipe makes 24 servings, which is perfect to keep beside the coffee maker for a quick cup whenever you feel the need.
How to Make Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix
For the mix, you’ll need the following:
- Cocoa Powder – use your favorite cocoa powder in this recipe. You can use either Dutch-processed or natural.
- Sugar – use your favorite sugar or an equal replacement of your favorite sugar substitute or alternative.
- Salt – just a little salt helps to round out the flavor
How to Make Homemade Hot Cocoa From This Mix
To make using this mix, for each cup:
Stir one to two tablespoons of this easy homemade mix into a cup of warmed milk, hot water, or even a cup of coffee for a quick mocha.
Flavors Variations You May Enjoy
- Peppermint – add ½ teaspoon peppermint extract or 1 tablespoon crushed peppermint candies
- Adult Peppermint – add 1 tablespoon Peppermint Schnapps
- Cinnamon – add a pinch of ground cinnamon
- Spicy – add a pinch of cayenne pepper
Here’s our favorite Hot Cocoa Recipe. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Homemade Hot Cocoa Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder Dutch-processed or natural
- 1 teaspoon salt
To Make Homemade Hot Cocoa from this Mix:
- 1 cup warm milk or water or coffee
- whipped cream
- peppermint extract
Hot Cocoa Variations:
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract (Peppermint Hot Cocoa)
- 1 teaspoon Peppermint Schnapps (adult Peppermint Hot Cocoa)
- Mix together sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Store in an airtight container.
To Make Hot Cocoa from this Mix:
- Stir 1 to 2 tablespoons of hot cocoa mix into 1 cup of warmed milk, hot water, or coffee. Add ingredients for flavor variations and/ or optional toppings as desired.