This homemade hot chocolate recipe is perfect to keep on hand for a classic, family favorite. Made with three ingredients, this hot chocolate mix couldn’t be simpler!
When the weather gets cooler, I love to sit by the fire with my family while we watch movies, read or play board games. It seems like we are just cocooned in time with our family of three all cozied up by the fire spending time together. I especially love to bring in a tray of homemade hot chocolate topped with a large dollop of whipped cream and a candy cane for good measure.
But I also love to make a large mug in the mornings to warm us up as we begin our day or stir a spoonful into my coffee for a quick homemade mocha.
We actually go through a good bit of hot chocolate around my house to be perfectly honest. So much so that I’m so thankful for the large container of my homemade hot chocolate mix that I keep on hand. My recipe makes 92 eight-ounce servings of deliciousness, almost enough to get us through the winter. Almost.
This homemade hot chocolate mix also makes a wonderful gift for family, friends, teachers, and neighbors over the holidays. One that they’ll definitely use and love. One recipe could easily be placed into small airtight glass jars to keep it fresh. Pair it with a set of mugs and a few candy canes for an extra special touch.
It’s definitely a quick, simple recipe my family loves and we love to share.
Here’s my Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe. I think you’ll love it, too!
- 3½ cups sugar
- 2¼ cups cocoa
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container.
- Per Serving:
- Heat one cup of whole milk per serving.
- Mix in two tablespoons of hot chocolate mix and stir until dissolved.
- Optional Add-ins:
- Add ½ teaspoon peppermint extract for peppermint hot chocolate.
- Add 1 teaspoon peppermint schnapps for adult peppermint hot chocolate
- Add a pinch cinnamon for Mexican hot chocolate
- Mix with a hot cup of coffee instead of sugar or sugar substitute for a quick, homemade mocha flavored coffee