Brunswick Stew is an iconic dish here in the south. One that you just don’t want to mess up when you make it. Folks know good Brunswick Stew when they see it and there’s no messing around with something like that.
Of course, I make my Brunswick Stew using a couple of different cooking methods. The one I use the most is to use leftover shredded beef, shredded chicken or pulled pork from leftover pork roast that I’ve cooked earlier in the week. By using all of those ingredients, I can generally have Brunswick Stew cooked and ready in hardly anytime at all – just in time for the big game or whatever else we have going on.
The other method I use fairly often is in my slow cooker. For that, I cook all of the meat and other ingredients in the slow cooker so I like to cook it low and slow. I’ll have to share those measurements and cooking times with you another time. I’ve made it so often, but never actually wrote down the exact steps in making it that way so I need to make a big batch of slow cooker Brunswick Stew just for you guys so that I can test it. You know, there’s never a bad reason to make Brunswick Stew but that might just be about the best reason I’ve had!
You can serve your Brunswick Stew alongside more pulled pork from the pork roast or even along with chicken you’ve roasted, or you know, it works perfectly well just right by itself. However, if you’ve ever been to a church or high school fundraiser in my neck of the woods, you know that menu is generally: Pulled Pork, Texas Toast, Slaw, Brunswick Stew, and then a big slice of Pound Cake. I generally like it when I can finagle a slice of Lemon Pound Cake to be exact. It just seems to balance out all of the other goodness on my plate! Heh!
So, why not plan your very own little social using that menu. I might just take that idea and run with it myself. It sounds like a good one to me.
Here’s my family’s favorite recipe for Brunswick Stew. It is sure to become one of your favorites, too!
Brunswick Stew Recipe
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 3 cups pulled pork, from pork roast recipe
- 3 cups shredded beef
- 2 cups beef stock, or broth
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 medium red potatoes, diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can Lima beans
- 4 cups cream style white corn
- 1 (24-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Stone House Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Add shredded chicken, pulled pork, and shredded beef – or mixture thereof – to a large, heavy-bottomed stew pot over medium-low heat. Add beef stock, onion, potatoes, beans, corn, diced tomatoes, ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, Stone House seasoning and cayenne pepper to the meats.
- Simmer over medium-low heat until thoroughly heated and all flavors have had time to combine, about 30 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.