This Easy Homemade Vegetable Soup is loaded with vegetables makes a comforting, delicious, healthy and hearty soup recipe!
Homemade Vegetable Soup
This vegetable soup recipe has been one of my family’s favorites for as long as I can remember! Filled with vegetables, it is naturally low in fat and calories making it a hearty, yet healthy soup recipe. I love that you can customize the vegetables to your personal preferences and even make it as a beef vegetable soup if you prefer.
How to Make Vegetable Soup
Vegetable soup is so easy to make at home and tastes so much better than a canned soup ever could in my opinion! My Grandmother and Mother both made this soup as I was growing up and it is one that is on regular rotation at my house too. Since it is so versatile, I love to make it as a simple vegetarian vegetable soup and then at other times I’ll make it with beef or turkey for additional protein.
For the vegetables, the options are limitless! I generally use many of the same vegetables in this soup that my Grandmother and Mother did, but I also love to just use whatever vegetables I have on hand. My favorite vegetables to include are:
- green beans
- lima beans
During the winter, I love to use frozen vegetables that I keep stocked in our freezer such as green beans, corn, okra, or even a bag of mixed vegetables. Throughout the warmer months, I love to use fresh vegetables from our garden or the produce stand. Additional vegetables that are delicious in this vegetable soup are English peas, spinach, kale, mushrooms, or cauliflower.
Stovetop Vegetable Soup
You can also easily make this soup on the stovetop and without a slow cooker!
- Brown the beef or turkey (if using) in a dutch oven or heavy bottomed soup pot set over medium heat. Drain away any drippings from the browned beef and discard the drippings.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients for the soup and return the pot to the stovetop.
- Reduce the heat to low heat and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed.
Can You Make this Ahead?
To make this soup ahead, cook the soup as directed and allow the soup to cool completely. Then, place into the refrigerator in an airtight container and store for up to 5 days.
How to Freeze this Soup
Allow the soup to cool. Place into freezer-safe container and store for up to 3 months.
To reheat, allow to thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat the soup over medium-low heat on the stovetop until heated throughout, about 15 minutes.
What to Serve with this Soup
While this soup makes a hearty meal on its own, you can also serve with the following
Here’s my Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup recipe. I think you are going to love it!
Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef optional
- ½ medium onion diced
- 2 cups fresh or frozen mixed vegetables or 2 (15-ounce) cans mixed vegetables drained
- 2 cups fresh or frozen Lima beans or 1 (15-ounce) can Lima beans drained
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn off the cob or 1 (15-ounce( can niblet corn drained
- 2 cups carrots sliced or 1 (15-ounce) can carrots drained
- 4 pounds peeled and diced whole tomatoes or 4 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomatoes and okra
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cook ground beef, if using, and onions until browned. Drain away the drippings from the browned beef and discard the drippings. Add the beef and onions to the slow cooker along with all other ingredients.
- Cook in the slow cooker for 4 hours on low.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed
For a vegetarian version of this soup, simply omit the ground beef. Make-Ahead:
Allow vegetable soup to cool. Place into the refrigerator in an airtight container and store for up to 5 days. Freezer Friendly:
Allow vegetable soup to cool. Place into freezer-safe container and store for up to 3 months. To reheat, allow to thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat over medium-low heat on the stovetop until heated throughout, about 15 minutes.
From the Add a Pinch recipe archives. Originally published 2012.