This easy Taco Soup recipe is hearty and delicious! Loaded with flavor, this favorite meal uses homemade taco seasoning and is ready in under 30 minutes!
Taco Soup Recipe
I’ve always loved a good taco – they are easy to whip together with ingredients that you have on hand and they are always flavorful and delicious. This taco soup recipe is one that everyone I’ve served it to loves too! Hearty like a favorite chili, it also has the spicy flavor of a taco. What a great combination! You know how I can tell that everyone loves it? They always go back for a second bowl. 🙂
This simple, yet scrumptious soup comes together so quickly and is on the table in about 30 minutes.
I love recipes like that for busy weeknights or even on the weekends when we know we’ll have friends over to watch football games or such. And while it is ready to enjoy so quickly and easily, I’ve also made sure to include a slow cooker and Instant Pot method for you as well!
I’ve heard it called so many names too when I’ve served it: taco soup, taco chili, good chili, and my favorite was “its like a taco and chili and something else all together”. In other words, it doesn’t matter what you call it, just make it! 🙂
For my taco soup, I use my homemade taco seasoning as well as my homemade ranch seasoning mixes. I generally have big containers of these seasoning mixes mixed together and stocked with my spices in my pantry. That way, I can quickly amp up any dish by adding a little bit of these seasonings. I love that I know exactly what is in them and I think it is so much cheaper to make my own than to buy those packets in the store!
How to Make Taco Soup Recipe (THREE Ways!)
I’ve included three methods for making this delicious taco soup recipe so that whichever method meets your needs is available to you!
I’ve listed the ingredients I use in this easy taco soup recipe. As I mentioned, I use my homemade taco seasoning and homemade ranch seasoning.
- ground beef
- taco seasoning
- black beans
- whole kernel corn
- mild chili beans
- diced tomatoes with green chilis
- stewed tomatoes
- ranch seasoning
- chopped green chilis (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste when serving
Optional toppings that are delicious on this soup:
- Tortillas – tortilla chips or your favorite tortillas
- Chopped Green Onion – top with a bit of this for extra heat!
- Shredded Cheese – isn’t everything better with a bit more cheese?!
- Sliced Avocados – cool, creamy slices are delicious with this spicy soup!
- Sour Cream -a dollop on top adds the perfect final touch!
Making the taco soup on the stovetop is quick and easy and ready in 30 minutes!
- To make it, I brown my ground beef in a Dutch oven and then drain away any excess fat.
- I then stir in my taco seasoning until well combined and then add my water and mix well. Next, I stir in all of the remaining ingredients for the soup and allow it to simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once ready, I serve with my favorite toppings!
Slow Cooker Recipe
The slow cooker method for this soup helps you whip it all together in the morning and then let it simmer away while you are away so that it is ready and waiting on you when you walk back in the door in the evening. How great is that?!
The slow cooker method is also great when you are entertaining since you can do all the work well in advance of your guests arriving and then just pull out the toppings and serve whenever your guests are ready to eat!
I love to use this method when serving taco soup when we are entertaining. The slow cooker keeps the soup warm and is just perfect for serving a crowd.
- To make it, I brown my ground beef in a skillet on the stove top and then drain away any excess fat.
- I then add my browned ground beef to my slow cooker, along with all of the remaining ingredients for the soup. I add the lid and cook the taco soup on low setting for 6 hours.
- When ready to serve, I just have all of the optional toppings available for people to serve themselves buffet style.
Instant Pot Recipe
If you love your Instant Pot as much as I do, you know that it rarely leaves the kitchen counter! This soup comes together in a snap in the Instant Pot and is perfect for a quick lunch or supper!
- To make my Instant Pot Taco Soup, I brown my ground beef using the saute function of the Instant Pot. Once the ground beef is browned, I drain away any excess fat.
- I then stir in the taco seasoning, water, and remaining ingredients until well combined. I secure the lid to the Instant Pot and seal the vent. I set the timer for 10 minutes on the High setting.
- Then, I let the Instant Pot naturally release for 10 minutes and then carefully allow it to quick release. Then, I remove the lid to the Instant Pot and serve the taco soup with my favorite toppings.
Make Ahead and Freezer Instructions
You can most definitely make this ahead and freeze it!
It will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3 days. To freeze it, allow the soup to cool and store in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
What to Serve With Taco Soup
Other Favorite Soups
Slow Cooker Minestrone – another easy soup for the crockpot. It’s meatless, yet loaded with veggies and beans.
Chicken Tortilla Soup – make on stovetop, slow cooker or Instant Pot
Here’s my Taco Soup recipe. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Taco Soup Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15-1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (16-ounce) can mild chili beans, undrained
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ranch seasoning mix
- 1 (4-ounce) can 4 ounces chopped green chilies, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste when serving
- Tortilla chips
- Sour cream
- Green onions chopped
- Cheddar cheese shredded
Stovetop Taco Soup Recipe
- Cook ground beef in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain excess fat.
- Add taco seasoning and stir until well combined.
- Add water and mix well. Add all other ingredients and stir until well combined. Bring to a full boil. Reduce heat to simmer and simmer uncovered until all ingredients are heated well throughout, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, chopped green onions, or shredded cheddar cheese
Slow Cooker Taco Soup Recipe
- Cook ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain excess fat. Pour the browned meat into the slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, water, black beans, corn, chili beans, tomatoes, ranch seasoning, and the green chilies. Stir until well combined.
- Cook on low setting for 6 hours. Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, chopped green onions, or shredded cheese.
Instant Pot Taco Soup Recipe
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute. Add ground beef to the Instant Pot and cook until the ground beef has browned, about 3 minutes. Drain excess fat. Add the taco seasoning, water, black beans, corn, chili beans, tomatoes, ranch seasoning and green chilis to the Instant Pot. Stir until well combined.
- Secure the lid to the Instant Pot and seal the vent. Cook for 10 minutes on High Setting. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes and then carefully release the remaining pressure. Remove the lid of the Instant Pot. Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, chopped green onions, or shredded cheese.
Store Taco Soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Freezer Friendly:
Allow the Taco Soup to cool and then store in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Vegetarian:
To make this Taco Soup vegetarian friendly, omit the ground beef from the recipe. Additional black beans or another type of bean may be used in place, if desired.