This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This easy Taco Soup recipe is hearty and delicious, uses my homemade taco seasoning, and is ready in under 30 minutes! Make it on the stovetop, slow cooker, and Instant Pot!
Looking for more easy and tasty soups? I think you’ll love Chicken Noodle Soup, Pasta Fagioli, French Onion Soup, or Classic Chili.
I love to serve tacos with all the fixings in a taco bar style. This easy taco soup recipe captures all the flavors of meaty, cheesy, and spicy tacos we all enjoy. It’s a satisfying soup that is simple to make, ready in under 30 minutes, and always a favorite. I included instructions on how to make this favorite soup three ways – on the stovetop, in a slow cooker, or in an Instant Pot! It’s excellent for casual suppers with friends and a fun weekend night with the family.
Taco Soup Recipe
Hearty like a favorite chili, this Taco Soup also has the spicy flavor of a taco. What a great combination! And it’s always a popular dish when I serve it. (I can tell because they always go back for a second bowl!)
This simple yet tasty soup comes together quickly and is on the table in about 30 minutes.
I love recipes like that for busy weeknights or even on the weekends when we know we’ll have friends over to watch football games. And while it is ready to enjoy so quickly and easily, I’ve also included a slow cooker and Instant Pot method for you!
I’ve heard it called so many names, too, when I’ve served it: taco soup, taco chili, good chili, and my favorite was “it’s like a taco and chili and something else altogether.” In other words, it doesn’t matter what you call it – just make it and enjoy it!
How to Make Taco Soup (THREE Ways!)
I use my homemade taco seasoning, and ranch seasoning mixes for my taco soup. I generally have big containers of these seasoning mixes mixed and stocked with my spices in my pantry. That way, I can quickly amp up any dish by adding a little bit of these seasonings. I love that I know what is in them, and it is much cheaper to make my own than to buy those packets in the store!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make it:
- Ground beef – I prefer to use lean ground beef. You can also substitute ground chicken or ground turkey or my vegetarian taco chili option included in the recipe notes.
- Taco seasoning – I generally keep my homemade taco seasoning on hand to use in recipes like this. You can also use your favorite store-bought in a pinch.
- Black beans – I drain and rinse my black beans before adding them to the soup.
- Whole kernel corn – You can also use canned or frozen corn if you like.
- Mild chili beans – The canned chili beans add an extra bit of spicy flavor to this soup. Still, you can also substitute it with another favorite bean.
- Diced tomatoes with green chilis
- Stewed tomatoes
- Ranch seasoning – Like my taco seasoning, I love to use homemade ranch seasoning that I keep on hand. You can also use your favorite store-bought if you prefer.
- Chopped green chilis – Optional
- Salt and pepper – Use to taste when serving.
- Tortillas – tortilla chips or your favorite tortillas
- Chopped Green Onion – top with a bit of this for extra heat!
- Shredded Cheese – isn’t everything better with a bit more?!
- Sliced Avocados – cool, creamy slices are delicious with this spicy soup!
- Sour Cream -a dollop on top adds the perfect final touch!
I’ve included three methods for making this yummy taco soup:
It’s ready in 30 minutes when cooking on the stovetop.
Brown the meat. Using a Dutch oven, brown the ground beef or other meat and drain any excess fat.
Add the seasoning blends. Add the taco seasoning and ranch seasoning and stir until well combined. Add water and mix well. Next, stir in all of the remaining ingredients for the soup.
Let it simmer. The soup should cook at a simmer d about 15 to 20 minutes.
Serve and enjoy. Use your favorite optional toppings and enjoy.
Slow Cooker Instructions
Add all the ingredients in the morning and let it simmer all day! Perfect for busy days. The slow cooker method is also great when you are entertaining. Since you can do all the work well before your guests arrive, pull out the toppings and serve piping hot soup whenever your guests are ready to eat!
I love to use this method when serving taco soup when we are entertaining. The slow cooker keeps the soup warm and is perfect for serving a crowd.
Brown the ground meat. In a skillet on the stovetop, brown the meat and then drain away any excess fat.
Add ingredients to the slow cooker. Place the browned ground beef in the slow cooker with all the remaining ingredients for the soup. Cover with the lid.
Cook the taco soup. Set the temperature to Low and set the timer for 6 hours.
Serve and enjoy. Along with your favorite optional toppings, allow guests to serve themselves buffet style.
Instant Pot instructions
If you love your Instant Pot as much as I do, you know it rarely leaves the kitchen counter! This soup comes together in a snap in the Instant Pot and is perfect for a quick lunch or supper!
Brown the ground beef. Using the saute function of the Instant Pot, brown the ground meat. Then drain away any excess fat.
Stir in the other ingredients. Add the taco seasoning, water, and remaining ingredients until well combined. Secure the lid to the Instant Pot and seal the vent.
Cook the soup. Set the Instant Pot timer for 10 minutes on the High setting.
Allow Instant Pot to release. Let the Instant Pot naturally release for 10 minutes, and then carefully allow it to do a quick release. Then remove the lid to the Instant Pot.
Serve and enjoy. Serve the taco soup with my favorite toppings.
How to Make Ahead, Store, and Freeze
To make ahead and store. Cook the soup and cool. Cover with wrap or add cooled soup to airtight storage containers and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To freeze. Allow the soup to cool and store it in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
What to Serve with this Soup
We love to serve this soup with white rice. It’s also tasty with my Cilantro Lime Rice as a side.
Simple and delicious sides like queso, restaurant-style salsa, guacamole, and some tortilla chips are perfect for serving with this soup!
Other Favorite Soups
Slow Cooker Minestrone – It’s meatless yet loaded with veggies and beans.
Chicken Taco Soup – another version of this delicious soup made with chicken!
Chicken Tortilla Soup – make on the stovetop, slow cooker, or Instant Pot
Here’s my Taco Soup recipe. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Taco Soup Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef or ground chicken or ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-¼ ounce) can whole kernel corn drained, or use frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 (16-ounce) can mild chili beans undrained
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ranch seasoning mix
- 1 (4-ounce) can 4 ounces chopped green chilies optional
- Salt and pepper to taste when serving
- Tortilla chips
- Sour cream
- Green onions chopped
- Cheddar cheese shredded
Stovetop Taco Soup Recipe
- Cook ground beef in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain excess fat.
- Add taco seasoning and stir until well combined.
- Add water and mix well. Add all other ingredients and stir until well combined. Bring to a full boil. Reduce heat to simmer and simmer uncovered until all ingredients are heated well throughout, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, chopped green onions, or shredded cheddar cheese
Slow Cooker Taco Soup Recipe
- Cook ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain excess fat. Pour the browned meat into the slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, water, black beans, corn, chili beans, tomatoes, ranch seasoning, and the green chilies. Stir until well combined.
- Cook on low setting for 6 hours. Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, chopped green onions, or shredded cheese.
Instant Pot Taco Soup Recipe
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute. Add ground beef to the Instant Pot and cook until the ground beef has browned, about 3 minutes. Drain excess fat. Add the taco seasoning, water, black beans, corn, chili beans, tomatoes, ranch seasoning and green chilis to the Instant Pot. Stir until well combined.
- Secure the lid to the Instant Pot and seal the vent. Cook for 10 minutes on High Setting. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes and then carefully release the remaining pressure. Remove the lid of the Instant Pot. Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, chopped green onions, or shredded cheese.
Store Taco Soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Freezer Friendly:
Allow the Taco Soup to cool and then store in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Vegetarian:
To make this Taco Soup vegetarian friendly, omit the ground beef from the recipe. Additional black beans or another type of bean may be used in place, if desired.
Did you make this recipe?
Mention @addapinch or tag #addapinch!
Share it with the world!
So good and easy! I added some chopped up zucchini for an extra vegetable. Was delish!
If I only have pinto beans instead of chili beans do I need to add chili seasoning?
I would add a little chili seasoning if I only had pinto beans, Summer. If you want a milder soup, you could omit adding any more seasoning.
Excellent! I received you recipe in an email today. I had all ingredients on hand, minus the green chilies. I used 1/2 beef, 1/2 turkey. Your taco seasoning recipe was scaled to recipe amt., but I used Badia ranch seasoning. My husband and I both enjoyed it, and I wouldn’t change a thing! I used the stove top method. Thanks for a great recipe!
I’m so glad you and your husband enjoyed this taco soup, Carol.
May I print the recipe with my printer here?
You should be able to. Just click on the Print the Recipe tab inside the recipe for a printer friendly page.