This Queso Recipe has only 4 ingredients but can be made 3 ways! Make this easy queso on the stovetop, slow cooker or microwave for the perfect appetizer! It’s a delicious recipe you’ll make time and again!
While chips and salsa may always the first things on the table when we sit down at our favorite Mexican restaurants, I’m anxiously waiting on the delivery of our queso, or cheese dip. So I decided I had to create a perfect and easy queso recipe.
Once I came up with this recipe, I make it at home all the time! I love knowing that this fresh, delicious queso is so easy with just a few ingredients, and I can whip it up by any one of 3 methods anytime I crave it! It is even easy to make ahead and keep warm in the slow cooker for serving as slow cooker queso when entertaining!
Restaurant Style Queso Recipe
Homemade queso is perfect for serving for everything from an easy weeknight supper or snack with the family to entertaining on the weekends. It just doesn’t get any easier than this recipe with the various ways to make it.
How to Make Queso
I make this sometimes on the stovetop while I’m preparing other dishes, but most often, especially when I want to make it a bit ahead of time, I love using my slow cooker! My son and his friends can make it in the microwave in just a few minutes when they want scrumptious snack.
Like I mentioned, there are three super easy ways to make this favorite recipe.
- Slow Cooker
To make this recipe, you only need 4 ingredients.
- Grated Jalapeno Cheddar Cheese or Pepper Jack Cheese
- Grated White American Cheese
- Grated White Queso Blanco
- Whole Milk or Half and Half
If you have any problems finding any of these cheeses, just ask your deli or dairy departments at the grocery store.
Make on the Stovetop Queso Recipe (Double Boiler Method):
Add the grated cheeses and 1/2 of the half and half or milk to the double boiler over low heat.
Then, stir as the cheese melts and add more of the half and half or milk until the mixture reaches the desired consistency.
The cheese sauce should be thin, but still thick enough to coat a chip when dipped.
You can either serve it immediately or pour it into a small slow cooker on the warm setting to serve so that it stays hot.
Slow Cooker Queso Recipe:
Add all of the grated cheese and the half and half or the whole milk.
Then, stir to combine and turn the slow cooker to Low setting.
Heat for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Then, turn the slow cooker to the Warm setting to keep hot for serving.
Microwave Queso Recipe:
When you just can’t wait for queso or want the absolute make anywhere easiest way to make it, it is ready in 5 minutes in the microwave. I’ve made it this way many times and my son uses this method a lot.
To make it, add the cheeses and 1/2 of the half and half or milk into a large microwaveable bowl.
Then, microwave for 3 minutes at 80% power, stopping and stirring after each minute. Remove from the microwave and stir vigorously to combine.
Then if needed, continue microwaving an additional 1 – 2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted thoroughly and all of the ingredients are well blended.
You can serve immediately or pour into a small slow cooker on the warm setting to keep it warm for serving. Delicious!
Didn’t I say this was simple?!
Easy as it can be, my recipe includes just enough “spice” with the pepper jack or jalapeño cheddar combined with the white cheddar and white queso cheese.
This is such a favorite recipe that I make it a lot. It’s great for an appetizer and perfect to serve with so many other dishes.
Foods to Eat with It
I enjoy adding queso and tortilla chips to these menu favorites:
Here’s my Perfect Queso Recipe. I think you’ll love it as much as we do!
Perfect Queso Recipe
- 1/2 cup grated jalapeno cheddar cheese or Pepper Jack cheese
- 1 cup grated white American cheese
- 1/2 cup grated white queso cheese
- 1/2 cup half and half or whole milk
- Add cheeses and half of the half and half or milk to the double boiler over low heat. Stir as the cheese melts and add more of the half and half or milk until the mixture reaches the desired consistency. The cheese sauce should be thin, but still thick enough to coat a chip when dipped. Serve immediately or pour into a small slow cooker on the warm setting to serve.
- Add cheeses and half of the half and half or milk into large microwaveable bowl. Microwave for 3 minutes at 80% power, stopping and stirring after each minute. Remove from the microwave and stir vigorously to combine.
- If needed, continue microwaving an additional 1 - 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted thoroughly and ingredients are well blended. Serve immediately or pour into a small slow cooker on the warm setting to serve.
Slow Cooker Queso:
- Add cheeses and half and half or milk to the slow cooker. Stir to combine and set on low setting for at least 30 minutes. Then, stir when the cheeses have melted and lower to the warm setting to keep warm while serving.