Chicken Fajitas are quick, delicious and loaded with flavor! This sizzling chicken fajita recipe is simple to make in minutes for a festive favorite meal!
Chicken Fajitas are one of my family’s favorite dishes! This Chicken Fajita recipe with sizzling chicken, colorful peppers, and onions in a flavorful homemade marinade is a classic dish that is so easy to make at home! Ready in minutes, it’s a perfect busy weeknight supper as well as a fun weekend meal!
While these fajitas come together in a snap, my recipe can even be prepped a bit ahead to make it even faster to get supper on the table!
Like I mentioned, my family loves this recipe! My steak fajitas are also a regular at my house. And I love that both of these are quick, easy and delicious!
How to Make Chicken Fajitas
To make this classic dish I use sliced chicken breast, red peppers, green or yellow peppers, and onions. My zesty marinade is full of flavor that makes this recipe absolutely scrumptious!
Even though this can be made at home in minutes, I still like to make my chicken fajita recipe even easier – and quicker. So I prep ahead. Here’s how I do that.
How to Prep Ahead
To prep ahead, I first slice my chicken and vegetables the night before I plan to serve them and place them into two separate zip top bags – one bag for the chicken and another bag for the vegetables.
Next, I mix together the marinade in a jar with a tight fitting screw top lid. I shake well to make sure it’s all combined. Then, I pour 1/3 of the mixture over the chicken, 1/3 over the vegetables, and then reserve the last 1/3 of the marinade. I secure the lid tightly on the jar and refrigerate so that I can use the last bit of reserved marinade when I cook the fajitas.
The chicken and vegetables for the fajitas can be prepped ahead in the marinade and stored in the refrigerator anywhere from an hour to overnight.
How to Make Chicken Fajitas
Then, the next night, I simply heat my skillet and saute the vegetables. When done, I remove them to a plate and then cook the chicken in the same skillet. As the chicken is almost cooked through, I add the vegetables back to the skillet and add the remaining marinade to them. Then, I serve the chicken fajitas with tortillas, sour cream, avocado slices, and my salsa.
I often serve my Instant Pot Brown Rice or Cilantro Lime Rice with these fajitas. Many times when I make these for a gathering with friends, I also serve my Perfect Queso or my Guacamole and tortilla chips ahead of and sometimes even with the meal.
Let me just tell you, my whole family loves this meal and it makes me feel like the most together person in the universe when I put it on the table!
How to Freeze Chicken Fajitas
Once cooked, allow to cool completely then portion into freezer-safe container(s). Freeze up to 3 months.
To serve, allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator, reheat and serve.
Here’s my Chicken Fajitas recipe. Make them soon!
Chicken Fajita Recipe
- 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts sliced into thin strips
- 1 medium red pepper deseeded and sliced into thin strips
- 1 medium green or yellow pepper deseeded and sliced into thin strips
- 1 medium onion peeled and sliced into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6-8 tortillas warmed
- sour cream
- sliced avocado or guacamole
- restaurant style salsa
- Place the chicken into a sealable bag. Place the peppers and onion into a separate sealable bag. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, chili powder, ground cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, and garlic to a jar with a screw top or tight fitting lid. Shake until well combined. Pour 1/3 over chicken, 1/3 over vegetables and reserve the remainder in the jar for using when cooking the chicken fajitas. Seal the bags tightly and refrigerate for one hour to overnight.
- When ready to cook, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pour vegetable bag into the skillet and cook until just tender crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the skillet to a plate and add chicken strips to the same skillet. When the chicken is cooked throughout, add vegetables back to the skillet along with the reserved marinade.
- Serve with tortilla and optional garnishes.
From the Add a Pinch recipe archives. Originally published 2015.