Chicken Fajitas are quick, delicious and loaded with flavor! This sizzling chicken fajitas recipe is simple to make in minutes for a festive favorite meal!
Chicken Fajitas are one of my family’s favorite dishes! This Chicken Fajitas recipe with sizzling chicken, colorful peppers, and onions in a flavorful homemade marinade is a classic dish that is so easy to make at home! Ready in minutes, it’s a perfect busy weeknight supper as well as a fun weekend meal!
While these fajitas come together in a snap, my recipe can be prepped a bit ahead to make it even faster to get supper on the table!
How to Make the Best Chicken Fajitas
To make this classic dish, you’ll need the following:
- Chicken – I use 2 pounds of skinless, boneless chicken breasts that have been sliced into thin strips. You can also use tenderloins or another cut of boneless chicken. Just make sure it is cut into uniform pieces.
- Peppers – I like to use one red and one yellow or green medium pepper that has been deseeded and sliced into thin strips.
- Onion – you’ll need one medium onion sliced into thin strips.
My zesty marinade is full of flavor, which makes this recipe scrumptious!
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
Optional: You may use 1 teaspoon Stone House Seasoning instead of the salt, pepper, and garlic.
Sides to Serve with Chicken Fajitas
To make ahead. Even though this can be made at home in minutes, I still like to make my chicken fajitas recipe even easier – and quicker. This makes a wonderful meal prep recipe.
- Prep Chicken and Vegetables. Slice the chicken and vegetables the night before you plan to serve them. Place the chicken in one container and the vegetables in another.
- Make Marinade. Mix the marinade in a jar with a tight-fitting screw-top lid. Shake well to make sure it is well combined. Then, pour 1/3 of the mixture over the chicken, 1/3 over the vegetables, and reserve the last 1/3 of the marinade to use while cooking the fajitas.
- Refrigerate. Secure the lid tightly on the jar and refrigerate. The chicken and vegetables for the fajitas can be prepped in the marinade and stored in the refrigerator for an hour to overnight.
- Cook. The next night, heat the skillet and saute the vegetables. When done, remove the vegetables and place them on a plate, and set aside. Add chicken to the same skillet and cook. As the chicken is almost cooked through, add the vegetables back to the skillet, and add the remaining marinade to the chicken and vegetables.
- Serve. Serve the chicken fajitas with tortillas and toppings like sour cream, avocado slices, lime wedges, and salsa or pico de gallo.
To store leftovers. Chicken Fajitas can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days after they are cooked. This is the food safety limit of time in the fridge for cooked chicken, so if you are not going to eat the cooked fajitas in a couple of days, you should freeze them according to the Freezer directions to follow. Make sure the chicken fajitas are stored in air tight bags or containers when placing in the fridge.
When ready to serve, reheat on the stove at medium heat until warmed throughout. You can also reheat in the microwave on 80% power in 30-45 second increments, depending on the wattage of your microwave.
To freeze. These make a delicious freezer meal. Cook and cool completely. Portion into airtight, freezer-safe container(s) or bag(s). Freeze up to 3 months.
To serve. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in a skillet on the stove at medium heat until warmed throughout. You can also reheat in the microwave on 80% power in 30-45 second increments, depending on the wattage of your microwave.
More Favorite Spicy Recipes
Here’s my Chicken Fajitas recipe. Make them soon!
Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips
- 1 medium red pepper, deseeded and sliced into thin strips
- 1 medium bell pepper, deseeded and sliced into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6-8 tortillas, warmed
- Place the chicken into a sealable bag. Place the peppers and onion into a separate sealable bag. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, chili powder, ground cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, and garlic to a jar with a screw top or tight fitting lid. Shake until well combined. Pour 1/3 over chicken, 1/3 over vegetables and reserve the remainder in the jar for using when cooking the chicken fajitas. Seal the bags tightly and refrigerate for one hour to overnight.
- When ready to cook, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pour vegetable bag into the skillet and cook until just tender crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the skillet to a plate and add chicken strips to the same skillet. When the chicken is cooked throughout, add vegetables back to the skillet along with the reserved marinade.
- Serve with tortilla and optional garnishes.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
From the Add a Pinch recipe archives. Originally published 2015.