The Best Tacos are easy ground beef tacos that are family favorites! Ready in minutes, more delicious than takeout for a classic taco recipe everyone loves!
The Best Homemade Tacos are one of our family favorites for a quick and easy weeknight supper. My son always enjoys them when he has friends over. And a taco bar with all types of toppings is a fun way to serve a casual, yet delicious meal to friends and family. While we love all types, like my Shrimp and Fish tacos, we call these the best because the taste is so scrumptious and we eat these much more often. They are are a simple and satisfying go-to meal in minutes that everyone loves!
Even though I absolutely love to cook and bake, sometimes I just need to get a nutritious, delicious supper on the table as quickly as possible. On busy weeknights, meal prep, slow cooker and Instant Pot recipes and quick, easy meals like this taco recipe are life savers.
The Best Tacos Recipe
These are so much better than takeout or those made with pre-packaged taco kits. They are made using my homemade taco seasoning that calls for just a few ingredients and no preservatives. So absolutely fresh-tasting and delicious!
One of the great things about these is how versatile they are. While this is a traditional taco recipe using ground beef, there are many more ways to customize for particular tastes.
What Type of Ground Beef?
Lean ground beef is best for this recipe. The meat won’t be greasy and it has enough fat content to taste delicious. They are super quick and easy if no draining is required.
However, if you don’t have lean ground beef on hand, go ahead and make these! You just simply drain the excess fat from the cooked ground beef before adding the homemade taco seasoning.
What Other Meats Can I Use?
Ground beef is commonly used and is the type of meat used in this recipe, but there are more options as well.
And if you choose, you can use black beans or pinto beans for a tasty meatless option.
How to Make the Best Tacos
In just a matter of minutes, I can have these ready and on the table for my family. Here’s how to make them.
- tortillas – You can use your preferred type of tortilla – corn or flour.
- ground beef – I use primarily use lean ground beef, but also enjoy using other options like ground turkey, chicken, etc.
- taco seasoning – I use my homemade taco seasoning mix, which I love to keep on hand. You can also use your favorite store-bought seasoning mix if you prefer.
- lettuce – shredded Iceberg, romaine, or arugula
- tomatoes – I love to use grape tomatoes sliced in half or diced tomatoes.
- red onion – peeled and cut into thin slices
- avocado – peeled, pitted and sliced or cut into cubes.
Step by Step Instructions
- Cook. Add lean ground beef to skillet, break up with spatula and cook over medium heat. Sprinkle with taco seasoning. (If used a ground beef that wasn’t lean, drain excess fat if necessary before adding taco seasoning.) Stir to combine well, cook until cooked through and browned, about 7 minutes.
- Assemble. Place cooked ground been on each tortilla. Then top each taco with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cheese, avocado, and sour cream and any other optional ingredients.
- Serve. If serving family style, you may wish to add the toppings and serve. Buffet style is perfect when serving guests so that each person tops his or her taco as they wish.
Side Dishes to Serve
Queso and Chips
Other Ground Beef Recipes to Try
Here’s my Best Tacos Recipe. Make them soon when you need a quick and easy meal everyone will love!
The Best Tacos Recipe
- 8 (6-inch) flour tortillas, or corn tortillas, lightly browned or left soft
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup arugula, other spring greens or shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- pepper jack cheese
- sour cream
- Add ground beef to a medium skillet set over medium heat. Sprinkle with taco seasoning, stir to combine well, and cook until the meat is cooked through and browned, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat and drain away any excess drippings.
- Assemble tacos by spooning ground beef into each tortilla and then topping with preferred toppings of arugula, tomatoes, onion, avocado, cheese, sour cream and salsa.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.