Refried Beans Recipe – This quick and easy refried beans recipe made with pinto beans, onion, and spices makes a delicious side dish for so many meals!
Oh friends! This past week I made a big pot of pinto beans (I used the pressure cooker method – hello, little miracle!) and had so many of them left over. So, for our supper the next night, I decided to have a Tex-Mex meal of chicken enchiladas, rice, and these refried beans. Talk about heaven!
If you love meals like that, then you surely need this simple as can be refried bean recipe in your back pocket! It is scrumptious!
Refried Beans Recipe
These refried beans are an absolute favorite for my family! They are delicious served alongside rice with tacos or chicken enchiladas and are practically perfect in a beef and bean burrito! I just can’t get enough of them!
How to Make Refried Beans
You’ll start your refried beans with cooked pinto beans. You can use my family pinto beans recipe that I just love (I have slow cooker, pressure cooker, and stovetop cooking methods included in the recipe!) or if you are really short on time, you can just grab a can of pinto beans. They both work perfectly for this recipe!
For the beans, you’ll drain away the liquid but make sure to reserve it. You’ll need it to add a little bit back to your beans as they cook so that you get them to your favorite consistency!
Add your olive oil to a large skillet set over medium heat and if you like onions and garlic in your refried beans, you go ahead and saute them for just a bit until tender. Then, you add in your drained pinto beans. If you don’t like onions and garlic or are leaving them out as I did when I made this batch, just skip on over to adding your pinto beans to the olive oil in the skillet. Then, add in your cumin, salt and pepper.
You’ll also add in some of the reserved liquid a little at a time as you cook your beans to make sure that your beans are not dry and to help you mash them as they cook. To mash them, you can use a potato masher or simply use the back of a wooden spoon to get them to the consistency and texture that you like.
Then, serve warm as a side dish or in burritos and more!
Here’s my Refried Beans Recipe. I think you’ll absolutely love ’em!
Refried Beans Recipe
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans drained with cooking liquid reserved or 1 (15-ounce) can
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion optional
- 2 garlic cloves minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until tender and translucent. Add beans, cumin, salt, and pepper to the skillet . Add reserved liquid a little at a time until beans are at desired consistency and not dry. Cook until beans are heated throughout. Mash beans with a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon to your desired texture. Remove from heat and serve.