Chicken Taco Soup Recipe – So quick and easy, this chicken taco soup recipe is flavorful and delicious! Made with chicken, beans, corn, it is on the table in less than 30 minutes!
If there is even a hint of cooler weather on the horizon, you better believe I start dreaming of my favorite soups, stews and comforting classics to make! This Chicken Taco Soup is one of my new favorites! A riff off of my original Taco Soup Recipe, it comes together in a snap! It is so easy to make on the stovetop, in the slow cooker, or even in the Instant Pot!
Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
To make this soup recipe, you’ll need:
- chicken – I like to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts to make it super easy to shred my chicken into the soup once it has cooked. You can also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs or even a mix of chicken pieces in this soup.
- taco seasoning – I’m a homemade taco seasoning girl and keep it on hand in a spice jar ready to add flavor in a jiffy! My homemade recipe uses minimal ingredients, but packs a ton of flavor without all the “other” stuff! 🙂
- chicken stock, broth, or water – Use whichever you prefer or have available to make this soup. The chicken stock and broth enhance the chicken flavor in this soup, but water definitely works as well.
- black beans – I love the addition of black beans to this recipe. You’ll want to drain them before adding to the soup.
- corn – I use whole kernel corn that I’ve drained before adding into the soup.
- chili beans – undrained mild chili beans add so much flavor to this soup and enhance the taco seasoning.
- tomatoes – you’ll use tomatoes with green chilis (you can also add more green chilis if you like) as well as either stewed or diced tomatoes, based on your preference. The stewed tomatoes will leave larger pieces of the tomato in the finished soup.
- ranch seasoning mix – while adding ranch seasoning to a taco soup may sound odd, don’t skip it! It completes this soup! I use my homemade ranch seasoning that I keep on hand like I do my taco seasoning. It’s a good thing.
You can make this incredible soup on the stovetop, in the slow cooker, or in the Instant Pot!
For the stovetop, just add everything to a Dutch oven set over medium heat. Cover and allow to cook until the chicken is cooked through and easily pulls apart with two forks, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and serve.
For the slow cooker, toss everything into the slow cooker, cover and set the timer for 6 hours on low. Then, pull the chicken with two forks and serve.
For the Instant Pot, layer everything into the Instant Pot, seal and cook for 10 minutes on High pressure. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes and then use the quick release. Remove the lid, shred the chicken, stir and serve.
Make Ahead Instructions
Allow to cool and then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Here’s my Chicken Taco Soup Recipe. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1-1/2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15-1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (16-ounce) can mild chili beans, undrained
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ranch seasoning mix
- 1 (4-ounce) can 4 ounces chopped green chilies, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste when serving
- Tortilla chips
- Sour cream
- Green onions chopped
- Cheddar cheese shredded
Stovetop Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
- Add the chicken, taco seasoning, chicken stock, broth or water, black beans, corn, chili beans, tomatoes, ranch seasoning, and green chilis to a Dutch oven set over medium heat. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through, tender and easily pulls apart with two forks, about 30 minutes. Serve with optional toppings.
Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
- Add chicken to slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, chicken stock, broth or water, black beans, corn, chili beans, tomatoes, ranch seasoning, and the green chilies. Stir until well combined.
- Cook on low setting for 6 hours. Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, chopped green onions, or shredded cheese.
Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
- Add the chicken to the Instant Pot. Add the taco seasoning, chicken stock, broth or water, black beans, corn, chili beans, tomatoes, ranch seasoning and green chilis to the Instant Pot. Stir until well combined.
- Secure the lid to the Instant Pot and seal the vent. Cook for 10 minutes on High Setting. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes and then carefully release the remaining pressure. Remove the lid of the Instant Pot. Shred the chicken with two forks and serve. Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, chopped green onions, or shredded cheese.
Store Chicken Taco Soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Freezer Friendly:
Allow the Chicken Taco Soup to cool and then store in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Vegetarian:
To make this Chicken Taco Soup vegetarian friendly, omit the chicken from the recipe. Additional black beans or another type of bean may be used in place, if desired.