The Best Banana Muffins are soft, moist, and buttery delicious! Made with three ripe bananas and staple ingredients! This quick and easy recipe is great for breakfast or a snack!
Banana muffins are just as delicious as banana bread but are much quicker to make and are perfectly sized for portable portions. They are great for busy mornings for a quick breakfast or even as an afternoon snack.
Based on my family’s favorite banana bread recipe, these banana muffins are one of my favorite easy recipes to use bananas! This recipe makes the best banana muffins that are so tender without being mushy or crumbly, buttery without being too rich, and are so full of flavor. I love that with simple ingredients, I can have these delicious homemade banana muffins ready in under 30 minutes!
I began making these banana muffins over 20 years ago when my son was just a little one. They have been a favorite ever since. I think they will be a favorite for your family as well!
Table of Contents
How to Make the Best Banana Muffins Recipe
Be sure to see the recipe card below for the full listing of ingredients, instructions, notes, and estimated nutritional information.
For this recipe, you’ll need bananas and a handful of staple kitchen ingredients that you most likely have on hand.
- Bananas – You’ll need three over-ripe bananas with dark spots. I sometimes like to have a spare banana available just in case any of the bananas are too far gone. 😉
- Brown sugar – adds a deep, rich, molasses flavor to the banana muffins
- Butter – softened to room temperature
- Eggs – room temperature to incorporate more easily into the batter
- All-purpose flour – run a whisk through your flour to remove any lumps if needed
- Baking soda – works as a leavener in the muffins
- Baking powder – an additional ingredient from my banana bread, the baking powder helps the muffins to dome beautifully.
- Salt – I use kosher salt.
- Vanilla extract – I love to use my homemade vanilla extract or a good quality store-bought. (Imagine I included it in the ingredient photo above. 😊)
- Optional mix-ins: chopped nuts, chocolate chips, dried fruit
Room-temperature eggs and butter incorporate into the muffin batter more evenly.
Cream together butter and brown sugar. Add peeled bananas and mash with a fork. Mix together until well combined.
Mix in eggs, one at a time, until well combined. Then slowly mix in the flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
Stir in the vanilla extract. Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups.
Bake the muffins at 425º F for 5 minutes and then reduce to 350º F for another 14 to 18 minutes or until the muffins are golden brown and soft and they easily spring back to the touch.
To store. Banana muffins will store covered on the counter for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to a week.
To freeze. Cool completely and store the banana muffins in an airtight, freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! I frequently use frozen bananas in this recipe. Remove the bananas from the freezer and allow them to thaw completely. Remove any excess moisture from the bananas and then use the recipe as written.
Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick or skewer into the center of the muffin. There should be a few crumbs attached to the skewer but not loose batter. You can also check by using an internal digital thermometer. The temperature should be between 200º F and 209º F. I prefer about 204º F.
To produce a high, fluffy top, I start these muffins at a higher temperature of 425º F for 5 minutes and then reduce the heat to 350º F to finish baking for 14 to 18 minutes. For my oven, 15 minutes is generally just right, but be sure to check them for the timing in your oven.
Yes! Follow the recipe and then bake at 350º F for 12 to 15 minutes.
Here’s my Best Banana Bread Muffins recipe. I hope you love them as much as we do!
Best Banana Muffins Recipe
- 3 medium bananas, very ripe with dark speckles or spots
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425º F. Line muffin pans with paper liners or prepare with butter and flour, shaking out any excess flour. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and brown sugar. Add peeled bananas and mash with a fork. Mix together until well combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix until each egg is fully incorporated.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla extract until well combined. Fold in any additional mix-in ingredients you may be using.
- Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins at 425º F for 5 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 350º for 14 – 18 more minutes or until the muffins are golden brown and a skewer inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached but not batter. For mini muffins, bake at 350º F for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Turn out and cool on a wire rack to cool completely.
How to StoreBanana muffins will store covered on the counter at room temperature for up to 3 days and in the refrigerator for up to a week.
How to FreezeTo freeze. Cool banana muffins completely and then store in an airtight, freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to 3 months. To serve. Thaw completely on the counter or in the refrigerator and then enjoy.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.