This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
The perfect baked potato recipe for a crispy, golden skin and a fluffy, tender inside. Learn how to make the best baked potatoes every time!
There is nothing like a big, fluffy, perfect baked potato and for years I thought they were only possible at my favorite steak restaurant. You know the ones with perfectly crisp skins and the fluffiest of insides? Yep, that’s the one.
Finally, after years of trying to get mine to turn out just as good as theirs, I nailed it! I’ve not looked back since because this is makes the best ever! Thankfully, they really couldn’t be easier to make and it goes perfectly with my favorite steak recipe!
How to Make Baked Potatoes
There are just a few ingredients and equipment that you’ll need to make the easiest and best potatoes I’ve ever tasted!
- Russet Potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Sheet Pan
- Wire Rack
I like to gather all of my items together while my oven is preheating so that as soon as the oven is ready, so are my potatoes for baking!
Scrub. With a stiff brush, scrub your potatoes until they are very clean. Then, make sure that they are dry.
Coat. Next, line a baking sheet with foil and then coat each of your potatoes with about a tablespoon of olive oil per potato. You’ll rub this all over the potato to make sure that it is really well coated.
Next, coat your potato in salt. Again, make sure to rub the salt all over each one. This normally takes about ½ teaspoon to 1 teaspoon per potato, depending on the size.
Prick. You’ll also want to use a fork and prick each one about six to eight times to allow air to escape as they bake.
Arrange. Then, arrange the potatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet that has been fitted with a wire rack. Set it on the middle rack of your oven.
Bake. Bake until the skin is crisp and then insides easily give when slightly pressed. I also like to check the internal temperature with an instant read thermometer. It should reach 205º – 208º F when checked.
In a hurry? I love the flavor and texture I get from this recipe, but sometimes when I’m rushed, I enjoy making my air fryer baked potatoes.
Here’s my Perfect Baked Potato recipe. I think you will love them!
Perfect Baked Potato Recipe
- Russet potato scrubbed clean and dried
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Arrange baking rack in the middle of the oven. Line a sheet pan with foil and place on the bottom rack of the oven to catch any drippings.
- Prick potatoes using the tines of a fork about 6 to 8 times.
- Drizzle potatoes with olive oil, about 1 tablespoon per potato, and sprinkle with salt. Rub the potato to coat the entire potato with the olive oil and salt. Carefully arrange potatoes directly onto middle oven rack and bake until the exterior is crisp and golden brown and then interior gives easily when carefully squeezed using an oven mitt, about 45 minutes. You can also check the internal temperature of the potato with a digital instant read thermometer. When it reaches 205º – 208º F, it is usually perfectly baked.
- Remove potatoes from the oven, split open with a knife and gently fluff the interior of the potato with a fork. Top with your favorite toppings.