The perfect baked potato recipe for crispy, golden skin and a fluffy, tender inside. Learn how to make the best baked potatoes every time!
There is nothing like a big, fluffy, perfect baked potato, and for years, I thought they were only possible at my favorite steak restaurant. You know, the ones with perfectly crisp skins and the fluffiest insides? Yep, those.
Finally, after years of trying to get mine to turn out just as good as theirs, I nailed it! I’ve not looked back since because this makes the best ever! Thankfully, they really couldn’t be easier to make, and it goes perfectly with my favorite steak recipe!
Why I Love This Recipe
- Delicious – So tender and fluffy, just like those at top-notch steakhouses!
- Easy – Simple to prep for baking to enjoy as an easy weeknight supper side dish or for entertaining.
- Versatile – These go with many other dishes and are delicious topped with chili for a quick, casual meal.
How to Make Baked Potatoes
There are just a few ingredients and equipment that you’ll need to make the easiest and best potatoes I’ve ever tasted!
To make these potatoes, you’ll need the following ingredients:
Be sure to see the recipe card below for the full listing of ingredients, instructions, notes, and estimated nutritional information.
- Russet Potatoes – I always choose this type of potato since they have such soft and tender insides, making for a perfect baked potato.
- Olive Oil – This will help to make the potato crispy on the outside and so flavorful!
- Salt – I like to use kosher salt or sea salt for the best-tasting results.
Equipment for the Best Baked Potatoes
You will also need a baking sheet, wire rack, parchment paper or foil, and a fork.
I like to gather all of my items together while my oven is preheating.
Scrub. With a stiff brush, scrub your potatoes until they are very clean. Then, make sure that they are dry.
Coat the potatoes. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and then coat each of your potatoes with about a tablespoon of olive oil per potato. Rub this all over the potato to ensure it is well coated.
Salt the potatoes. Coat your potato with salt. Again, make sure to rub the salt all over each one. This usually takes about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon per potato, depending on the size.
Prick. You’ll also want to use a fork and prick each one about six to eight times to allow air to escape as they bake.
Arrange. Then, arrange the potatoes on the parchment or foil-lined baking sheet that has been fitted with a wire rack. Set it on the middle rack of your oven.
Bake. Bake until the skin is crisp and the insides easily give when lightly pressed. I also like to check the internal temperature with an instant-read thermometer. It should reach 205º – 208º F when done.
Serve and enjoy. Once potatoes reach the desired temperature, remove them from the oven. Cut into the potato, and fluff the insides with a fork. Garnish them with your favorite toppings. I love serving “potato bar style” with all the toppings that my family or guests love.
Perfect Baked Potatoes TEmperature
Baked potatoes should reach an internal temperature of 205º – 208º F when checked with an instant-read thermometer.
In a hurry? I love the flavor and texture I get from this recipe, but sometimes, when rushed, I love making my air fryer baked potatoes. You may also enjoy my potatoes made in the slow cooker and Instant Pot.
Favorite Baked Potato Toppings
- Sour Cream
- Crumbled Bacon
More Delicious Side Dishes to Try
Here’s my Perfect Baked Potato recipe. I think you will love them!
Perfect Baked Potato Recipe
- 1 medium Russet potato, scrubbed clean and dried
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Arrange baking rack in the middle of the oven. Line a sheet pan with foil and place on the bottom rack of the oven to catch any drippings.
- Prick potatoes using the tines of a fork about 6 to 8 times.
- Drizzle potatoes with olive oil, about 1 tablespoon per potato, and sprinkle with salt. Rub the potato to coat the entire potato with the olive oil and salt. Carefully arrange potatoes directly onto middle oven rack and bake until the exterior is crisp and golden brown and then interior gives easily when carefully squeezed using an oven mitt, about 45 minutes. You can also check the internal temperature of the potato with a digital instant read thermometer. When it reaches 205º – 208º F, it is usually perfectly baked.
- Remove potatoes from the oven, split open with a knife and gently fluff the interior of the potato with a fork. Top with your favorite toppings.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.