Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
Chicken Cacciatore Recipe – Chicken Cacciatore made in a flavorful tomato sauce and tender chicken is a simple, yet comforting Italian classic at its best.
Mama made her chicken cacciatore on a regular rotation while I was growing up and now that I have my own family, I totally understand why. It is so simple to cook, just simmering away on the stove, but is absolutely out of this world delicious!
I love that it is made with whatever type of chicken your family loves – chicken thighs, legs, breasts, or even a combination – browned and then cooked in the flavorful rustic tomato-based sauce. The sauce is made of onions, celery, garlic, mushrooms, bell pepper, and crushed tomatoes all simmered with herbs and seasonings.
Let me just tell you, the smell coming from the kitchen when my family walks in the door for supper is pretty amazing and definitely has them asking when supper will be ready! 🙂
This chicken cacciatore is perfect when you are wanting a comforting meal. It is one that I can always depend on my whole family enjoying and guests asking for the recipe! And you know, what is better than that?
Here’s my Chicken Cacciatore Recipe. I hope your family loves it as much as we do!
Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 pieces of chicken thighs, legs, or breasts
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper divided
- ½ medium onion chopped
- 3 ribs celery sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped Italian parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, in juice
- Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to a large skillet set over medium-high heat.
- Season both sides of the chicken pieces with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and brown it, cooking in batches, for 5 minutes on each side. Transfer the cooked chicken to a plate as they are done.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining olive oil to the skillet. Stir in the onion, celery, and garlic and cook until the vegetables have softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the parsley, rosemary, red pepper flakes, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Stir in the chicken stock and crushed tomatoes and cook until the stock has reduced by about half.
- Reduce the heat to low, return the chicken to the sauce, add the remaining salt and pepper, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm over rice, pasta or with potatoes.
All images and text © Robyn Stone for Add a Pinch