Shredded Chicken Burritos Recipe – This traditional chicken burrito makes a quick and easy meal comes together in a snap for a favorite lunch or supper!
Do you ever have a craving for something to such a level that you can either get in your car and drive 15 to 20 minutes (plus wait at the restaurant for it) for it or head into the kitchen and whip it up yourself?
Yep. That’s exactly what happened to me the other day.
I had a craving for a shredded chicken burrito with beans, rice and all the good stuff like cheese and sour cream and avocados and pico de gallo and, and, and. You get the picture.
I would clearly have been the one walking down the line at the restaurant saying, “yes, please” to every single addition the guy behind the counter asked me if I wanted on my burrito.
But instead of spending over an hour that it would have taken to go get said meal, I went into the kitchen to make it our supper.
And it was just as I had craved.
Okay, so here’s the thing. Each week, I generally go ahead and prep ingredients so that I can use them in other recipes throughout the week. I’ll go ahead and bake chicken breasts to use in chicken salad or even chicken enchiladas, I’ll make pico de gallo, cut up vegetables, you name it. I’ll even take a look at the menu plan for the week along with our family schedule. Then I can decide if I need to make entire meals earlier in the week so that it makes the busier weeknights even easier.
Throw cravings into that mix and things can get really interesting quickly! 🙂
But luckily, for this particular week, I was covered since I’d already prepared a batch of these chicken burritos for the freezer. Meaning, I was able to pull them out of the freezer, heat them and serve within minutes! Minutes!
Now, I just need to restock my freezer!
Here’s my Chicken Burritos Recipe. I hope they help your craving, too! 🙂
Shredded Chicken Burritos Recipe
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 2 large baked chicken breasts shredded
- 1 cup cooked pinto beans or black beans drained and rinsed or refried beans
- pico de gallo
- ½ cup cooked white or brown rice
- 2 medium limes cut into wedges
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add each of the tortillas to the skillet and heat them for about 1 minute per side. Remove the tortillas and begin assembling the chicken burritos.
- Place each tortilla on a plate and arrange about ¼ of the shredded chicken onto the tortilla top the chicken with beans, pico de gallo, rice, a squeeze of fresh lime juice, cheddar cheese, and sour cream.
- Roll the burrito and serve!
Prepare burritos and wrap each individually with parchment paper followed by plastic wrap or foil. Label each burrito with the contents and the date made. Place burritos into a large freezer bag and seal. Freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, microwave for 3 minutes (remove foil if wrapped in foil) or in the oven at 350º F for 25 minutes (remove plastic if wrapped in plastic wrap).